php database

Caitlin-havener

I'm not connecting to my database... anything wrong with the code you can see? i'm not sure how to put hostname in, before I had localhost but it didn't work

function inserthistory($x, $y, $color){global $Login, $Password;	$connection=mysql_connect('hostname:184.168.45.20',$Login,$Password) or print 'main connect failed';	mysql_select_db('ca081919',$connection) or print "main select failed";		$q="INSERT INTO history VALUES (null, '$x','$y', '$color')";	$result = mysql_query ($q, $connection) or print "query '$q' failed";		} #inserthistory

When connecting to your your local server you would usually use ('localhost' , 'root', 'mypassword'), when using a hosting web server they usually provide their own hostname, username, and mysql db name to use, when you setup the database.

When connecting to your your local server you would usually use ('localhost' , 'root', 'mypassword'), when using a hosting web server they usually provide their own hostname, username, and mysql db name to use, when you setup the database.
This is the server info it gives me: ca081919.db.7515989.hostedresource.com (184.168.45.20 via TCP/IP). I tried both the name and just the numbers... I have the username and password right. 'localhost' wasn't working. Database name is correct.... table name correct...

have you placed them in correct order$conn = mysql_pconnect('hostedresource.com', 'ca081919', 'yourpassword') or trigger_error(mysql_error(),E_USER_ERROR);mysql_select_db('db.7515989', $conn);
Yes, they are in order and I just tried it the way you have it here:
$connection=mysql_connect('hostedresource.com',$Login,$Password) or print 'main connect failed';	mysql_select_db('db.7515989',$connection) or print "main select failed";

Again I know my pass and login are right and they are of global scope.Is that how I am supposed to do it then?? Or is that wrong?

I also tried

$connection=mysql_connect('hostedresource.com',$Login,$Password) or print 'main connect failed';	mysql_select_db('ca081919',$connection) or print "main select failed";

because I know I named the database ca081919.Still getting main connect failed.

$connection=mysql_connect('184.168.45.20',$Login,$Password) or print 'main connect failed';

Does that at least print "main connection failed"?

Sweet. That worked! Thanks. Can you see why my Back off button is not working...Functions:

#removelasthistory:function removelasthistory(){global $Login, $Password;	$maxitnum=largest_itemnumber(); // most recently added will have largest item number.		$connection=mysql_connect('184.168.45.20',$Login,$Password) or print 'main connect failed';	mysql_select_db('ca081919',$connection) or print "main select failed";			$g="SELECT x FROM history WHERE turn_number=$maxitnum";		$result = mysql_query ($g, $connection) or print "query '$g' failed";		while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result))								{				global $x;			$x=$row[0];					//return $x;					}		$h="SELECT y FROM history WHERE turn_number=$maxitnum";		$result2 = mysql_query ($h, $connection) or print "query '$h' failed";		while($row2=mysql_fetch_array($result2))								{				global $y;			$y=$row2[0];				//return $y;						}		$q="DELETE FROM history WHERE turn_number=$maxitnum";	$result3 = mysql_query ($q, $connection) or print "query '$q' failed";	}function largest_itemnumber(){global $Login, $Password;	$connection=mysql_connect('184.168.45.20',$Login,$Password) or print 'main connect failed';	mysql_select_db('ca081919',$connection) or print "main select failed";			$q="SELECT MAX(turn_number) FROM history";		$result = mysql_query ($q, $connection) or print "query '$q' failed";		$row=mysql_fetch_array($result);		$maxitnum=$row[0];		return $maxitnum;} # largest_itemnumber

Case for clicking Back Off:

case 'BACK OFF':			$blackbackoff = $_SESSION['blackbackoff'];			$goldbackoff = $_SESSION['goldbackoff'];			$turn=$_SESSION['turn'];						if($turn=='BLACK') {				if($blackbackoff==1) {					$blackbackoff= 0;					$_SESSION['blackbackoff'] = $blackbackoff;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;								} 			}			if($turn=='GOLD') {				if($goldbackoff==1) {					$goldbackoff = 0;					$_SESSION['goldbackoff'] = $goldbackoff;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;										removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;									} 

It is supposed to remove the last three moves for each team. See the site: http://havener.me/files/project3/project3.php

I don't get it... why are you doing

removelasthistory();					$Grid[$x][$y]=WHITE;

several (like 6 or 7) times? $x and $y aren't changing thoughout the whole thing, and BTW, what's the value of this WHITE constant?I thought you learned the lesson from last time to avoid globals, and carefully track those that you do have.

Archived