Html Form Questions

sheahunter1

Ok, so I have 2 questions for the community.1. Is there a way to create a HTML form that will send an email to the MAILTO: recipient, but have the browser NOT auto-open the email app? I mean, after I hit submit, I would rather see a confirmation page that the email was sent rather than have an email app open. Any way to do that without using a third party form?2. Along a similar line with HTML forms, I wanted to know if I could make a form with different options (a dropdown box.) But I wanted to see if there was a way to email a different email address based on the option chosen? I'm sure it might require some Javascript (maybe) but I'm not sure.Thanks for any responses.

Browsers don't come with in-built e-mail servers, so they have to open the e-mail client. The alternative and better option is to not use the mailto protocol and make a server script send an e-mail.To answer your second question, if you use a server-side language you can select where you want to send to and what you want to appear in the "from:" header of the e-mail. Here's an overview of e-mail in PHP.

Browsers don't come with in-built e-mail servers, so they have to open the e-mail client. The alternative and better option is to not use the mailto protocol and make a server script send an e-mail.To answer your second question, if you use a server-side language you can select where you want to send to and what you want to appear in the "from:" header of the e-mail. Here's an overview of e-mail in PHP.
Thanks for the PHP email thing. And how would I go about making a server script (what language would I need to make it in?)

You can make the script in any language that runs on the server. I just gave you a PHP example, but there are many other server-side languages. This all depends on what languages your server supports.

Archived