Form Validation: How To Keep The Submit Result?

tinfanide

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><title>Online Exercise</title><script>function checkAnswers(){if(document.getElementById("response1").value == "a"){  document.getElementById("hint1").innerHTML = "Good thinking shown!";  document.getElementById("hint1").style.color = "green";  document.getElementById("ans1").innerHTML = "Correct";  document.getElementById("ans1").style.color = "green";  } else {   document.getElementById("hint1").innerHTML = "Try again!";   document.getElementById("hint1").style.color = "red";   document.getElementById("ans1").innerHTML = "Wrong!"   document.getElementById("ans1").style.color = "red";   }}function checkHints(){if(document.getElementById("response1").value == "a"){  document.getElementById("hint1").innerHTML = "On the right track!";  document.getElementById("hint1").style.color = "green";  } else {   document.getElementById("hint1").innerHTML = "Think more of the ABC";   document.getElementById("hint1").style.color = "red";   }}</script></head><body><form onsubmit="checkAnswers()"><div id="ques1">    <span id="quesNo1">Question 1</span>    <br />    What is the first letter of the English Alphabet?</div>    <br /><input type="text" id="response1" onfocus="this.value=''" onblur="checkHints()" value="Answer here please!" />    <input type="submit" value="Submit" />    <label id="hint1"></label>    <label id="ans1"></label></form></body></html>

My question is:Once the form is submitted, the returned value "Correct" / "Wrong" will be immediately erased out.How can I keep them?Is it what the onsumbit event does?

The onsubmit attribute is set to a function and if the function returns true, it will be submitted to the form processor script. If false, it won't.(Returns false). So in other words, you don't need:

<input type="submit" value="Submit" />

Because you have the onsubmit attribute for the form.

But even I delete this

<input type="submit" value="Submit" />

The part I want to keep still goes immediately.

<input type="text" name="ques1" value="" onblur="checkAnswers()" />

I just found another round.I may use onblur().

Another question:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><title>Online Exercise</title><script>function checkAnswers(q){    if(document.getElementById("response"+q).value == "a" || document.form.ques+q[0].checked == true){        document.getElementById("hint"+q).innerHTML = "Good thinking shown!";        document.getElementById("hint"+q).style.color = "green";        document.getElementById("ans"+q).innerHTML = "Correct";        document.getElementById("ans"+q).style.color = "green";        } else {            document.getElementById("hint"+q).innerHTML = "Try again!";            document.getElementById("hint"+q).style.color = "red";            document.getElementById("ans"+q).innerHTML = "Wrong!"            document.getElementById("ans"+q).style.color = "red";            }    }function checkHints(q){    if(document.getElementById("response"+q).value == "a" || document.form.ques+q[0].checked == true){        document.getElementById("hint"+q).innerHTML = "On the right track!";        document.getElementById("hint"+q).style.color = "green";        } else {            document.getElementById("hint"+q).innerHTML = "Think more of the ABC";            document.getElementById("hint"+q).style.color = "red";            }    }</script></head><body><form name="form">    <div id="ques1">    <span id="quesNo1">Question 1</span>    <br />    What is the first letter of the English Alphabet?</div>    <br />    <input type="text" id="response1" onfocus="this.value=''" onblur="checkHints(1)" value="Answer here please!" />    <input type="button" value="Submit" onclick="checkAnswers(1);" />    <label id="hint1"></label>    <label id="ans1"></label>        <div id="ques2">    <span id="quesNo2">Question 2</span>    <br />    What is the first letter of the English Alphabet?</div>    <br />    <input type="radio" name="ques2" onclick="checkAnswers(2);" onblur="checkHints(2)" value="a" />a    <br />    <input type="radio" name="ques2" onclick="checkAnswers(2);" onblur="checkHints(2)" value="b" />b    <br />    <input type="radio" name="ques2" onclick="checkAnswers(2);" onblur="checkHints(2)" value="c" />c    <br />    <input type="radio" name="ques2" onclick="checkAnswers(2);" onblur="checkHints(2)" value="d" />d    <br />    <input type="button" value="Submit" onclick="checkAnswers(2);" />    <label id="hint2"></label>    <label id="ans2"></label>    </form></body></html>

I want to use the same checkAnswers function for different types of input typeWhy can't I use " || " in the if condition statement?

if(document.getElementById("response"+q).value == "a" || document.form.ques+q[0].checked == true)

FF Console reports

document.getElementById("response"+q) is null

keep the onsubmit and use <form onsubmit="checkAnswers(); return false"> which will prevent form being submitted, and clearing the result.
But if I add
<form onsubmit="checkAnswers(); return false" action="check.php">

I want to record the user's answer on the check.php page

<?phpecho document.getElementById("response1").value;?>

Will the php page record it? (because now "return false" is used, the onsumbit event seems to stop working)I know it is wrong to use php in this way.But just no idea of using php to store the javascript thing

But if I add
<form onsubmit="checkAnswers(); return false" action="check.php">

I want to record the user's answer on the check.php page

<?phpecho document.getElementById("response1").value;?>

Will the php page record it? (because now "return false" is used, the onsumbit event seems to stop working)I know it is wrong to use php in this way.But just no idea of using php to store the javascript thing

Obviously! your first example had no indication this information was going to be sent to another page, and that is why I provided return false code, as i said it prevents form submission, that causes the page to clear and return to original state. A better option would be to store the users answer in hidden input, send that, and show it in check.php
  function checkAnswers(q){if(document.getElementById("response"+q).value == "a" || document.form.ques+q[0].checked == true){document.getElementById("hint"+q).innerHTML = "Good thinking shown!";document.getElementById("hint"+q).style.color = "green";document.getElementById("ans"+q).innerHTML = "Correct";document.getElementById("ans"+q).style.color = "green";} else {document.getElementById("hint"+q).innerHTML = "Try again!";document.getElementById("hint"+q).style.color = "red";document.getElementById("ans"+q).innerHTML = "Wrong!"document.getElementById("ans"+q).style.color = "red";}document.getElementById("answer").value = document.getElementById("ans"+q).innerHTML;}

<input type="hidden" id="answer" name="answer" />

But can't I pass the parameter q into the form.name like this:

// q = 2 if(document.form.ques+q+[0].checked == true)

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><title>Online Exercise</title><script>function checkAnswers(q){    if(document.form.ques+q+[0].checked == true){	    document.getElementById("ans"+q).innerHTML = "Correct";	    document.getElementById("ans"+q).style.color = "green";	    } else {		    document.getElementById("ans"+q).innerHTML = "Wrong!"		    document.getElementById("ans"+q).style.color = "red";		    }    }</script></head><body><form name="form">    <div id="ques2">    <span id="quesNo2">Question 2</span>    <br />    What is the first letter of the English Alphabet?</div>    <br />    <input type="radio" name="ques2" onclick="checkAnswers(2);" value="a" />a    <br />    <input type="radio" name="ques2" onclick="checkAnswers(2);" value="b" />b    <br />    <label id="ans2"></label>   </form></body></html>

Yes, thank you. You always remind me of something in scripting.Long time ago someone like you taught me to use [ ].Just don't know why it should be.

Archived