add class to a function

jnf555

<script type="text/javascript">function showtext(href) { document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = dateofbooking; } { var dateofbooking = ("click here to see quiz info!!!").addClass('jnf'); /*this is the section i cant get right*/ } function hidetext(href) { document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = dateofbooking2; } { var dateofbooking2 = "Quiz<br>Night"; } </script> hi i am trying to add a class to my function but not sure how , anyone help pleasejnf555

umm.... your code doesn't really make any sense. if you properly format and indent it, it's kinda of all over the place

function showtext(href) {  document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = dateofbooking;} {var dateofbooking = ("click here to see quiz info!!!").addClass('jnf');   /*this is the section i cant get right*/}		function hidetext(href){  document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = dateofbooking2;}	{var dateofbooking2 = "Quiz<br>Night";} </script>

what exactly is going on here?

var dateofbooking = ("click here to see quiz info!!!").addClass('jnf');   /*this is the section i cant get right*/

what are you trying to add the class to? if you are using jquery, then you can use addClasshttp://api.jquery.com/addClass/ if not, then you need to classNamehttps://developer.mo...ement.className edit: just re-reread your topic title. you can't add a class to a function, and on top of that, that's not how you define a function. I guess you just have to tell us what you're trying to do.

it sounds like i've got it wrong, i have posted the whole section below, which alters the text when mouseover, i am trying to also alter the style. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"><html><head><script type="text/javascript">function showtext(href) { document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = dateofbooking; } { var dateofbooking = ("click here to see quiz info!!!"); } function hidetext(href) { document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = dateofbooking2; } { var dateofbooking2 = "Quiz<br>Night"; } </script><style type="text/css">.imglinks a{text-align:center;display:block;text-decoration:none;color:white;background-color:gray;width:95px;height:90px;border:1px solid black;font-family:verdana;box-shadow: 10px 10px 5px gray;margin:10px}</style></head><body><div class="imglinks"><a href=""onmouseover="return showtext()"onmouseout="return hidetext()"id="anyid">Quiz<br>Night</div></body></html>

document.getElementById("anyid").class='someclass'; //to change whole class of element  document.getElementById("anyid").style.display='block'; //to change paritcular style of an element

document.getElementById("anyid") returns a elemnt object which is here a div element. you can after that set or update any properties of that object like this.

you should set the var first without curly brackets

var dateofbooking = ("click here to see quiz info!!!");var dateofbooking2 = "Quiz<br>Night"; function showtext(href){document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = dateofbooking;} function hidetext(href){document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = dateofbooking2;} 

you also do not need 'return' when calling either function

i have tieded it up ,is that better. but still not added the class option.<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"><html><head><script type="text/javascript">var mouseover = "click here to see quiz info!!!";var mouseout = "Quiz<br>Night";function showtext(href){document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = mouseover;} function hidetext(href){document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = mouseout;}</script><style type="text/css">.imglinks a{text-align:center;display:block;text-decoration:none;color:white;background-color:gray;width:95px;height:90px;border:1px solid black;font-family:verdana;box-shadow: 10px 10px 5px gray;margin:10px}</style></head><body><div class="imglinks "><a href=""onmouseover="return showtext()"onmouseout="return hidetext()"id="anyid">Quiz<br>Night</div></body></html>

this is what i wanted to acheive but have altered the style with hover<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"><html><head><script type="text/javascript">var mouseover = "click here to see quiz info!!!";var mouseout = "Quiz<br>Night";function showtext(href){document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = mouseover;} function hidetext(href){document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = mouseout;}</script><style type="text/css">.imglinks a{text-align:center;display:block;text-decoration:none;color:white;background-color:gray;width:95px;height:90px;border:1px solid black;font-family:verdana;box-shadow: 10px 10px 5px gray;margin:10px}.imglinks a:hover{text-align:center;display:block;text-decoration:none;color:black;background-color:white;width:105px;height:95px;border:1px solid black;font-family:verdana;box-shadow: 10px 10px 5px gray;margin:10px}</style></head><body><div class="imglinks "><a href=""onmouseover="return showtext()"onmouseout="return hidetext()"id="anyid">Quiz<br>Night</div></body></html>

Now we are getting somewhere, Right you need to use parentNode as you are calling the function from the child element 'a' of parent Element 'div', you also must place a space between each attribute, as some browsers have a problem with this, and you don't have a closing tag for anchor tag, also as mentioned before return or 'href' reference in the function is not required. html

<div class="imglinks "><a href=""onmouseover="return showtext()"onmouseout="return hidetext()"id="anyid">Quiz<br>Night</div>

should be

<div class="imglinks"><a href="#" onmouseover="showtext()" onmouseout="hidetext()" id="anyid">Quiz<br>Night</a></div>

js

var mouseover = "click here to see quiz info!!!";var mouseout = "Quiz<br>Night";function showtext(){document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = mouseover;document.getElementById("anyid").parentNode.className = "imglinks2";}function hidetext(){document.getElementById("anyid").innerHTML = mouseout;document.getElementById("anyid").parentNode.className = "imglinks";}

css

.imglinks a, .imglinks2 a{text-align:center;display:block;text-decoration:none;color:white;background-color:gray;width:95px;height:90px;border:1px solid black;font-family:verdana;box-shadow: 10px 10px 5px gray;margin:10px}.imglinks2 a{color:black;background-color:white;width:105px;height:95px;}

Archived