Seriously confused with RegEx

TheGallery

Hello guys, I am fairly new to regular expressions, and i am pretty much stuck. I am using a function to validate a form and since the first input field asks for the full name of a user, i only want the characters A-Za-z - ' and spaces to be allowed. Here is the pattern i used

fnamePattern = /[A-z '-]/;

and the condition i used

//fullname is taking the input value earlier in the script if(!fnamePattern.test(fullname)){   error = "Bla bla bla";}  

With the above code the input will be valid as long as i use at least one of the characters in the pattern(even if i use any other character like @ for example), although i don't really get this. Shouldn't the condition evaluate to true and assign a value to error? Since i was stuck with this i changed my pattern to

fnamePattern = /[^A-z '-]/;

and my condition to

//fullname is taking the input value earlier in the scriptif(fnamePattern.test(fullname)){   error = "Bla bla bla";}  

Now everything works fine but the ^ character is allowed too. Clearly there is something i am not getting right with RegExs. Any help will be appreciated.

That seems to have fixed the second issue. I thought A-z was equal to A-Za-z. But could someone explain why the first method won't work? What am i doing wrong there.

In the first method, the pattern will only be false is not one single character matches the ones you're looking for. The pattern is never false as long as there's at least one of the valid characters.

Archived