What's wrong with my code

TheCatapult

Hi friends, I'm currently working in my Update page. I got this following error.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /srv/disk4/741839/www/catapultphpmysql.eu.pn/testwebsite/djselect.php on line 17

Here's my file code.

<?$id=$_GET['id'];$username="";$password="";$database="";mysql_connect("",$username,$password);$query=" SELECT * FROM diskjockey1 WHERE jockey='$jockey'";$result=mysql_query($query);$num=mysql_numrows($result);mysql_close();$i=0;while ($i < $num) {$jockey=mysql_result($result,$i,"jockey");<form action="updated.php" method="post">	    Input the current DJ: <input type="text" name="ud_web" value="<? echo $jockey; ?>"><br><input type="Submit" value="Update"></form>++$i;}?>

Here's the updated.php.

<?$ud_jockey=$_POST['ud_jockey'];$username="";$password="";$database="";mysql_connect("",$username,$password);$query="UPDATE diskjockey1 SET first='$ud_jockey'";mysql_query($query);echo "Record Updated";mysql_close();?>

Thanks and I am hoping for helpful answers!

To begin with, you need to echo these lines or take them out of php:

<form action="updated.php" method="post">			Input the current DJ: <input type="text" name="ud_web" value="<? echo $jockey; ?>"><br><input type="Submit" value="Update"></form>

EDIT: I don't know how the second script fits into your question.

Part of the tutorial would have said that html has to be echoed when it's left in the php flow. You can take your html out of the php like this. <?phpphp here?>html here<?phpmore php here?> That will eliminate the parse error.

Thanks niche! I did that and another error happened.

[b]Warning[/b]: mysql_numrows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in [b]/srv/disk4/741839/www/catapultphpmysql.eu.pn/testwebsite/djselect.php[/b] on line [b]10[/b]

When I remove the numrows, it leaves a blank page without the form.Please help!

your quuery is failing so $result is not mysql resource it is boolean false. so that mysql_num_rows() issuing a error. if($result){ //onsuccess do that}elseecho mysql_error(); mysql_error()will print the error.

birbal, sorry if I am so whatnot here.

<?$id=$_GET['id'];$username="";$password=";$database="7;mysql_connect("",$username,$password);$query=" SELECT * FROM diskjockey1 WHERE jockey='$jockey'";$result=mysql_query($query);$num=mysql_numrows($result);mysql_close();if($result){//onsuccess do that}elseecho mysql_error();$i=0;while ($i < $num) {$jockey=mysql_result($result,$i,"jockey");?><form action="updated.php" method="post">	    Input the current DJ: <input type="text" name="ud_web" value="<? echo $jockey; ?>"><br><input type="Submit" value="Update"></form><?++$i;}?>

That's the code. Still, it has error.

what about these lines. no closing quote, only one single quote.

$password = ";$database = "7;

My question though is, why all your success code seems to be outside of the if conditional. Shouldn't you be executing the loop only if $result is valid? I would definitely add some error logging and debugging statements. Take it one step at a time and make sure the DB connection is valid, then make sure your query is successful, then execute the loop. Make sure the first step works before moving onto the next one.

Archived