How can I make my menu items display evenly spaced?

Roxanne

I created a horizontal drop-down menu by using code a found in a tutorial, but I have a problem with my main menu items. The items which have more text are crowded together next to the menu items after them. How can I get my menu items to appear all in one line and evenly spaced? I tried changing my code in the "#menu-bar li" class by settting the width to auto, and I also tried removing the width value from it, but when I did that the menu items were so widely spaced that they went to a second line, my first sub menu didn't show, and the other sub menus appeared in one line without any spaces in between them. Here is my code:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Pontano+Sans' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'><title>CSS drop-down menu</title><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" /> <style type="text/css">body{padding:0px;background: #000000;}#menu-bar, #menu-bar ul, #menu-bar li{font-family: 'Pontano Sans', sans-serif;font-size:19px;}{padding:0;margin:0;} #menu-bar li{list-style: none;position: relative;float: left;	  /* this makes the lists to appear horizontally */			   white-space:nowrap;width:150px;height: 50px;text-align: left;background-color: #000000;line-height: 50px;}#menu-bar li a{text-decoration:none;color: white;}#menu-bar li:hover{background-color:#000000;}#menu-bar ul ul{top:0;visibility:hidden;}#menu-bar ul li:hover ul{visibility:visible;}</style></head><body><div id="menu-bar"><ul>  <li><a href="#">Portfolio</a>   <ul>   <li><a href="#">Seniors</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Wedding</a></li>							   <li><a href="#">People & Portraits</a></li>							   <li><a href="#">Pets</a></li>							   <li><a href="#">Commercial</a></li>							   <li><a href="#">Graphics</a></li>   </ul>  </li>  <li><a href="#">Bands</a>   <ul>   <li><a href="#">D'espairsRay</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Versailles</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Queensrÿche</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Love Said No</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Soundevice</a></li>   </ul>  </li>  <li><a href="#">Price Lists</a>   <ul>   <li><a href="#">Senior Price List</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Wedding Price List</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Portrait Price List</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Pet Portrait Price List</a></li>   </ul>							  </li>  <li><a href="#">Contact Me</a>							 </li>  <li><a href="#">About The Owner</a>							 </li>  <li><a href="#">Fine Art Prints</a>   <ul>   <li><a href="#">Scenic</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Wildlife</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Nature</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Miscellaneous</a></li>   </ul>							  </li>  <li><a href="#">Tips for choosing a photographer</a>   </li></ul></div></body></html> 

? top level or does that include submenu as as well. for top level you could try min-width: with percentage value (100 / number of menu items)

#menu-bar li { min-width: 16.66%;} /*6 menu items*/

then reset submenu list items to normal

#menu-bar li li { width: 200px;} /*no min-width*/

I tried doing a you suggested, and the menu items are evenly spaced when I view them on a browser page with just the menu on it, but when I put it on my website in the table I created for the menu, they are not evenly spaced, and the last item in the main menu is dropping down to form a second row. Here is a link to my website:http://www.reflectio...aphy/test2.html By the way, your percentages were off, there were actually 7 menu items, so I had to change#menu-bar li { min-width: 16.66%;} to #menu-bar li { min-width: 14.28%;}

I didn't count how many menus you had, i just used six as an example. Anyway forget min-height use padding and adjust to needs, I had too correct a few syntax errors in css (misplaced '{' and '}'), and add position absolute to submenu ul so they occupy no space, and no longer affect width of parent li element, adjust a few more here and there to come up with this

body{    padding:0px;    background: #000000;    }    #menu-bar, #menu-bar ul, #menu-bar li{font-family: 'Pontano Sans', sans-serif;font-size:19px;text-indent:0;/*added by dsonesuk */    padding:0;    margin:0;    }        #menu-bar li{	    white-space:nowrap;	   /* min-width: 10.28%; removed by dsonesuk*/    list-style: none;    position: relative;    float: left;	  /* this makes the lists to appear horizontally */	  /*  width:150px; removed by dsonesuk*/    height: 50px;    text-align: left;    background-color: #000000;    line-height: 50px;padding: 0 23px 0 0; /*added by dsonesuk */    }#menu-bar li:last-child {padding:0; }	    #menu-bar li li, #menu-bar li li:last-child/*added by dsonesuk */{	    /*width: 200px;*/        width:100%;/*added by dsonesuk */	    text-align: left;        padding: 0 0 0 10px;/*added by dsonesuk */        	    }        #menu-bar li a{    display:block; /*added by dsonesuk */    text-decoration:none;    color: white;    }    #menu-bar li:hover{    background-color:#000000;    }    #menu-bar ul ul{    position:absolute; /*added by dsonesuk */    width:200px; /*added by dsonesuk */    top:50px;/*amended by dsonesuk */    visibility:hidden;    }    #menu-bar ul li:hover ul{    visibility:visible;    }

Archived