JavaScript question

Don E

Hey everyone, I was wondering why is JavaScript not mandatory in browsers but allowed for users to disable it? I know the vendors like to give the users the option to disable to give them "control" but in today's time, shouldn't JavaScript be mandatory since a lot of websites require it for the website to function properly etc? From my understanding, you cannot harm a persons computer with it or something of the like.. So then it would it accurate to say that the reason why it's allowed to be disabled is to give the user control? Thanks.

A lot of users don't want flashy effects, especially if they're at work and are just trying to find information. Often Javascript just slows down navigation and causes extra processing for the computer.

While Javascript alone cannot infect or damage your computer, some malware does get installed via Javascript code (e.g., injected JS code to add a hidden iframe and load an infected PDF file or Java applet). People also disable Javascript as a nuclear option to block advertisements and tracking.

shouldn't JavaScript be mandatory since a lot of websites require it for the website to function properly etc?
I don't think anything should be mandatory. I write applications that require Javascript for everything, there's no non-Javascript alternative to it, so if someone has Javascript disabled then they just can't use my application. If they want to use it, they need to enable Javascript. I don't see a problem with that model.