Games in ASP

Guest Teebor

Guest Teebor

HI there,I am totally new to this forum and to asp programming really. But I am one of those people who wants to learn stuff but I rapidly loose interest if it is something that just does not interest me.Which leads to my little dilemma, I want to write a database to log information in, assign it to someone and then record updates to the information. Kind of like a helpdesk package really.But tbh it totally bores the pants off me even thinking about it.So I figured if I took the time to learn to create a game kind of like kings of chaos or domain knights v3 (the 2nd of which admittedly took 5 years to create) then I would learn what I need and a lot more besides, and I would do it because it interests me.Now I understand simpler concepts like writing/reading data from a database, displaying data, some parts about the global.asa file and some other bits. But there are things I don't understand like having things happen in the background like operations on the database that have to happen automatically without a prompt by someone being on the site that I don't understand.I was hoping to find some sort of tutorial somewhere on the net to make a small turn based game like this as a learning exercise, but I can't find one.Could anyone point me in the right direction for doing this kind of thing or give me some pointers?The things I do understand is that I will need an enormous database to contain player info, and what they are/have been doing.Cheers in advance, or for even reading this far :):)

Web-based scripting languages are generally event-driven, where an action has to take place in order for work to be done. The program responds to user input. If you want to schedule things to happen in the future at some point, you will probably need to send calls to the operating system scheduler, and devise some scheme for the OS to call back the program at the specified time and perform what needs to be done.The only time I've run into this myself is for a project where I needed a task to happen once a day at a certain time. In order to do that, I wrote an ASP script to do the task, and set up the Windows task scheduler on the server to launch Firefox, go to that page, and close Firefox again after 5 minutes. It's cheesy, but it works.

You can't really make truly interactive games, such as a racing game or a fighting game or anything that requires the screen to react to keyboard commands. Unless you have some *very* sophisticated AJAX, all ASP processing takes place on page loads, so anytime you'd perform an action you would require a user to click a button or link to refresh the screen.At best, you could reproduce something like a Zork-styled game or an old-school Myst type game. Its possible to create board games, but reloading the screen on every move wouldn't be very fun for the user. Java and Flash are more appropriate for interactive games.