Fade in body background image

garevn

I dont know how to fade in through this.. I just need to simple fade in the next coming image.

<script language="JavaScript">    var john=['0.jpg','1.jpg','2.jpg'];for (var img,pic=0;pic<john.length;pic++){img=john[pic];john[pic]=new Image();john[pic].src=img;}var bac=0,to=null;function ImageRotate(){bac=++bac%john.length;document.getElementById('name').style.backgroundImage='url('+john[bac].src+')';to=setTimeout(function(){ ImageRotate(); },2000);}</script></head><body id="name" onLoad="ImageRotate();"></body></html>

For fading you need to use a function that alters the CSS opacity of the image, which gets called every few milliseconds to change the opacity a little bit each time. You would use setTimeout or setInterval to do that, like you're using already. Several libraries like jQuery automate things like that where you only need to call one function to do a fade, but under the hood that's how they do it.

At the moment i succeded the rotation images background. And the fadeIn-fadeOut at the content of the body... But i need to fadeIn-FadeOut the background images not the content of body.. I am spaced out..

<script language="JavaScript">    var john=['0.jpg','1.jpg','2.jpg'];for (var img,pic=0;pic<john.length;pic++){img=john[pic];john[pic]=new Image();john[pic].src=img;}var bac=0;function ImageRotate(){bac=++bac%john.length;document.getElementById('name').style.backgroundImage='url('+john[bac].src+')';setTimeout(function(){ImageRotate();},5000);$('body').fadeOut("slow");$('body').fadeIn("slow");}</script></head><body id="name" onLoad="ImageRotate();">
Edited by garevn

Background images do not support opacity, opacity doesn't make sense for a background image. You might be able to simulate it, for example by putting an element over the background that is white, and fading that element in. It will appear like the background is fading to white. You can set the opacity on an entire element that has a background image, but it's going to affect everything in that element also.