How to create an emailable booking form?

adarajames

HiI'm new to all this and been working thro the tutorials, trying to put a booking form on a website that can then be emailed to myself, have tried working through the example but each time I click on the 'submit' button it just sends a blank email, it doesn't include the details that have been added onto the form! Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?!Thanks so muchAdara

This is the page so far, used the w3schools tutorial to do this, but seems that people are saying java or something should be involved ot make it possible to send the completed form by email? I only know basic html from having taught myself using the w3schools pages, so any ideas on what to do next would be great!Thankshttp://www.geocities.com/adarajames/bookingform.html

If you want to create an emailable form, you need to use either PHP or ASP to connect to a server and send the mail. First you need to figure out what the server supports, and then do a search to find out how to do it. There are examples of emailing forms all over the web, and all over this forum (mostly in the PHP forum).

• 2 weeks later...
I am having exactly the same problem, I used this code:<FORM "action="mailto:My Email">When I reasearched this more, I found out that this html tag is now obsolete, this means that I have to use CGI scripts. So I found the right script, that would mail to me, and also display a thank-you page. This was really good I thought.So I went through the tutorial, uploaded it, changed the file permissions and everything on Cute FTP. Then I tried it and it gave me a 500 internal server error. I though not to worry, because there was a debugging section and it was my first go.I spent ages tryig to check everything, then I found out that the free web hosting that I have won't allow me to use CGI scripts? This is because you have to pay for an extra service to allow you to have a "cust-bin" on there server.This really annoyed me, are there any other methods to accept information from visitors to your website?Please help me I really would love to get this working with a thank-you page without having to pay for anything.Can anyone help?? PLEASE!!!With Many Thanks Edward

Please avoid hijacking someone else's post! Start your own next time.If you cannot use server side scripts then there are no other options for you to save or send form data. mailto is your only option with out scripts and it is very unreliable.

The <form> tag is not, and I don't think ever will be, obsolete. But you do have an extra quote just hanging out in there that is probably screwing something up. But like aspnetguy said, mailto is not reliable, and you should look into using a PHP or ASP script to process the form, or you could also use Perl or CGI if you really really want. Search this forum, there are examples all over the place.Also, ease up on the huge bold font.