Browsing history

Don E

I was wondering as to how websites display certain ads to you based of previous websites you've visited? Google Adsense for example can do this believe. So say you went to a website about sunglasses, and then go to another website having to do with something completely not related to sunglasses, but on that site you'll see ads served to you about sunglasses.

I was just wondering how this is done since from what I understand you cannot access a users' browsing history via JavaScript. I read there are ways but they are considered 'hacks'. Not cool if that's what some of these sites are doing. Thanks.

The ad networks track that data. Google knows which sites it is serving ads to you on, so it can show related ads that it serves to you on other sites. Google also looks at your Gmail text if you have a Gmail account, looking for keywords that they can advertise to you based on. That's how Google makes its money. It has nothing to do with the website you're looking at, the website doesn't even necessarily know which ad is being shown.

• 3 weeks later...