why dont i get any result form the database?

etsted

I cant see anything wrong here, but when i try to echo the $id variable i get nothing, i have tried with some of the other variable but i get nothing. I also have a custom $error variable that is supposed to tell me if i dont have anything i the DB, and it keeps saying that i dont.

// if the user is not logged in, header them away        if($user_status != true) {            //header("location: index.php");        }                $error = $sentMsg = $status_replies ="";                // select all of a users messages from the DB        //$sql = "SELECT id, to, from, date_sent, message, subject FROM conversation WHERE `from`='$log_username' AND deleted='0' ";        $sql = "SELECT * FROM conversation";        $query = mysqli_query($con, $sql) or die(mysqli_error($con));                // check to see if he has more than 1 message        $numrows = mysqli_fetch_array($query);        if($numrows > 0) {            $error = "You have no messages in your inbox<br>";        } else {                        while ( $row=mysqli_fetch_array($query) )            {                $id = $row['id']; $to = $row['to']; $from = $row['from']; $date_sent = $row['date_sent'];                $message = $row['message']; $subject = $row['subject'];                                                     $sentMsg = "                <form action='' method='post' name='msgForm_".$id."'>                    <input type='checkbox' name='box_".$id."'>                </form>                ";                            }            echo $id;        }

mysqli_fetch_array does not return the number of rows, it returns the next record or false if there is not another record. Look at the manual for it for examples. Your if statement is also backwards. You are saying they have no messages if the number of rows is greater than 0. That's backwards.

@justsomeguy refers to

$numrows = mysqli_fetch_array($query);

if($numrows > 0)

change this to

$numrows = mysqli_num_rows($query);        if($numrows <= 0) //or use just '=' coz there couldn't be, perhaps, negative number of messege
Edited by funbinod