Website Size

Professor GIBS

I know the sizing of a website, and keeping everything in proportion, is one of the hardest things about web design. I've leaned a good proportionate size is 960 pixels, and I should use a % width instead of pixels where I can. Well, I was wondering if I could use this format for my website online for computers/laptops? As for other technology such as tablets, kindles, minis, and phones I will design a specific application that you can download to access the need to's on my website? I would like your input and advice on this, please.

Thanks to all in advanced.

Thanks for the reply, is there anything I can do better? I would like to improve as much as possible, thanks.

Also, I know "index.html || index.htm" are usually the default homepages for browser, but if I deleted my index.html, and made a index.php does it load as the default homepage?

Thanks aurohttp, though I already stated that in my post.

I've leaned a good proportionate size is 960 pixels, and I should use a % width instead of pixels where I can.

Does anybody have anything else to add? Just as a side comment, I notice how other websites use div's/span's/tables and all of that to align it, does any of that actually determain or mess with the sizing of the website? Or is it just a personal preferrance?

Edited by Professor GIBS