Why is my variable empty?

unplugged_web

I've very new to PHP and am trying to get API (REST) to work with a site I'm currently working on. It works if I submit a form using AJAX but I want it to work without using AJAX. The code I'm using is:
<?php    $postContactUrl = 'https://apiconnector.com/v2/contacts/';    $data = array(    'Email' => $_POST['email'],    'EmailType' => 'Html',    'dataFields' => array(    array(    'Key' => 'FULLNAME',    'Value' => $_POST['name_first']." ".$_POST['name_last'] ),    )    );    $contact = execute_post($postContactUrl, $data);        $addContactToAddressBookUrl = 'https://apiconnector.com/v2/address-books/' . '123456' . '/contacts';    $book =  execute_post($addContactToAddressBookUrl, $contact);        function execute_post($url, $data){    $requestBody = json_encode($data, true);        $ch = curl_init();        curl_setopt($ch, CURLAUTH_BASIC, CURLAUTH_DIGEST);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERPWD, 'username' . ':' . 'password');    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $requestBody);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, true);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 10);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST, 0);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, 0);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, array ('Accept: ' . 'application/json' ,'Content-Type: application/json'));        $responseBody = json_decode(curl_exec($ch));        curl_close($ch);        return $responseBody;    }    ?>
but when I try to add that to the page the form is on I get this error:
PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function execute_post()
I've tried to fix it but nothing I do seems to work. I don't understand why it works with AJAX but not any other way.
I tried moving the function to before I called it but neither this:
function execute_post(){    ...    }            $contact = execute_post($postContactUrl, $data);
nor this worked:
function execute_post(){            $contact = execute_post($postContactUrl, $data);

I think I have have discovered where the problem is. When I use print_r on $data it prints the results, $contact again works but $book prints nothing at all. I don't know what the reason for $book not showing anything. I tried renaming it incase it was conflicting with something I wasn't aware of but that didn't make any difference.

Does anybody have any suggestion as to why this isn't working?

Why is the $book variable empty? I've checked everything before it and up until that point everything is correct. I've even tried renaming it but that didn't work :(

<?php    $postContactUrl = 'https://apiconnector.com/v2/contacts/';    $data = array(    'Email' => $_POST['email'],    'EmailType' => 'Html',    'dataFields' => array(    array(    'Key' => 'FULLNAME',    'Value' => $_POST['name_first']." ".$_POST['name_last'] ),    )    );    $contact = execute_post($postContactUrl, $data);        $addContactToAddressBookUrl = 'https://apiconnector.com/v2/address-books/' . '123456' . '/contacts';    $book =  execute_post($addContactToAddressBookUrl, $contact);     echo "<pre>" . print_r($book, true) . "</pre>";    ?>

You've left out the most important part. Where's the code for execute_post?

Sorry here it is:
<?php//Function to initiate curl, set curl options, execute and return the responsefunction execute_post($url, $data){    //encode the data as json string    $requestBody = json_encode($data, true);    //initialise curl session    $ch = curl_init();    //curl options    curl_setopt($ch, CURLAUTH_BASIC, CURLAUTH_DIGEST);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERPWD, 'username' . ':' . 'password');    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_GETFIELDS, $requestBody);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_GET, true);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 10);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST, 0);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, 0);    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, array ('Accept: ' . 'application/json' ,'Content-Type: application/json'));    //curl execute and json decode the response    $responseBody = json_decode(curl_exec($ch));    //close curl session    curl_close($ch);    return $responseBody;}?>

Are you sure you're sending the correct values to the API? $contact is the result of sending $data to the API, then you turn around and send $contact right back? Is that correct? Does $contact contain the correct data to send to the API?

Sorry I didn't mean to create duplicate post, I thought that they might not be similar enough.

$contact contains the details of everybody in that book, $data contains the details from the form but $book is empty.
This works perfectly if I call it like this:
$.ajax({type: 'POST',url: '/api.php',data: $("#form").serialize(),success: function(data) {if(data == "true") {$("#form").fadeOut("fast", function(){$(this).before("<div class='thanks'><strong>Thank you you've been added to our mailing list</strong></div>");});}if(data == "false") {$("#form").fadeOut("fast", function(){$(this).before("<div class='thanks'><strong>You are already subscribed mailing list.</strong></div>");});
but this time I need to call it in the same file but it doesn't work

There's a CURLOPT_POST option. CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST is for when you want to use methods such as DELETE.

There's no option GETFIELDS, but if you need a GET request you can put the data right into the URL as a query string.

There's no problem using the custom request option for POST requests, but cURL already has an option specifically for POST.