PHP problems

Truman

Hi, I was hoping that you could help we with this problem.

First, I need to make $name variable with my name. After that, using knowledge of strlen(string), rand(min, max), and substr(string, start, length) I need to print a random character from my name. It's a codeacademy problem. So it shouldn't be a number, only one of letters of my name.

Yes, I know how those functions work but I hit a snag.

This is one of the solutions that I've tried but it doesn't work:

$name = "milos";
$sub0 = substr($name, 0);
$sub1 = substr($name, 1);
$sub2 = substr($name, 2);
$sub3 = substr($name, 3);
$sub4 = substr($name, 4);
print rand($sub0, $sub4);

Right, that's not going to work. You set $sub0 to "milos", $sub1 to "ilos", $sub2 to "los", etc, and $sub4 to "s". Then you're passing "milos" and "s" to the rand function. The rand function takes numbers, not strings. You didn't use the strlen function there, you need to use that. Figure out how many characters there are, use that length with rand to get a random number that is in the length, and then use the random number with substr.

In one of my previous efforts this is what I wrote:

$name = "milos";
$length = strlen($name);
print rand(0, $length);

I don't know how and why should I use a random number with substring. For previous code I receive a message "The random output you printed from your name should be a letter."

There is only one class definition with only one constructor, you can make as many instances of the class as you want without making any change to the class. You probably should make a different thread for this since it's completely unrelated to the topic.

• Like 1