apache version for php

hisoka

Apache comes first because PHP is a module that Apache loads into itself. The Apache documentation doesn't say much about PHP or any other server side script, if anything.

On the Apache version I am running at present I have run a couple of PHP versions so there is some overlap. .

"It's either in the Apache documentation or the PHP documentation."

Honestly I read both of them but I could not find which version of Apache belongs to which version of PHP . For example I could not find in both documentations which Apache version is compatible with php 5.4 and I could not find which Apache version is compatible with php 5.3 . It is not mentioned .

I looked up the documentation that came with my first version of PHP (can't remember) called "php_manual_en.chm", typed "apache" into the search and there is quite a bit. This manual is quite old but mentions PHP running on Apache 1.3 and onwards but the PHP version I have is 5.4. This is also old but does everything I want. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

It's a case of the driver before the cart before the horse. You don't get the documentation until you install PHP but it's better to install Apache first.

Anyway, my manual confirms there is considerable overlap.

"There are not specific versions of PHP for specific versions of Apache. They are separate software projects"

I have Apache 2.2.15 and worked fine with PHP 5.2 . When uninstalled PHP 5.2 and substituted it with PHP 5.4 , my Apache stopped working and I could not restart it anymore . It says :" Apache could not be restarded "

So if it is not a problem of version compatibility so what is it exactly ? or why does my Apache work with PHP 5.2 and not with PHP 5.4

Edited by hisoka

I don't know, I'm not sitting there watching you. I'm sure the Apache logs have an indication of what the problem is. Maybe you didn't remove the old PHP config from Apache and it's still trying to load the old version.

• Like 1