How to link pages in a CSS layout

MarkDF

Newbie here. I designed my website with framesets. In the next update, I want to eliminate them because I keep reading how awful they are. Here's a simple version of the problem I can't get my head around with CSS and HTML:I have two frames, a narrow lefthand menu frame with links that open new pages in the righthand content frame. For example's sake, let's say they're two links that open two different pages in the main content frame. That's three separate html docs.Conceptually, I understand how to visually mimic that in CSS by using a container and two boxes. What I'm having are hard time understanding is how to mimic the linking. Am I now creating two html docs that contain the same menu info in the left box and different content in the right box (in addition to the .css) so that when I click a link to Page 2, the entire page refreshes? Or is there an html code I use in the menu box that refreshes the content box only (can that even been done)?Sorry if this is obvious. I feel like there's an obvious concept I'm not getting.

css doesn't replace frames, a css layout replaces a table layoutServer side includes i would say is replacing frames.

Or is there an html code I use in the menu box that refreshes the content box only (can that even been done)?
It can be done, you would then turn to javascript to do this.

css doesn't replace frames, a css layout replaces a table layout

So, if the recommendation is away from frames, what's the alternative to frame functionality using CSS layouts? (I'd like to avoid javascript too since so many people disable it). The main thing I'm trying to replicate is the cleanness of clicking a link and having new content appear without refreshing static content. Or, again, am I not getting the CSS concept and refreshing everything onclick is what's intended to happen if you move away from frames? Is that really more efficient (assuming preloading graphics, etc.)? Are iframes okay to use, or is the recommendation away from those too?

you really shouldn't use Iframes either. all frames take your rating WAY down in google and other Search engines. the short answer to refreshing only one section without frames: You can't.the long answer: you have to use javascript to open a page and load it in. you could use PHP or ASP and include, but it would still refresh the whole thing.

Ack. It sounds like updating is going to be starting essentially from scratch. I guess this means it won't be happening as quickly as I hoped.Thanks for the input. Anyone else with two cents is welcome to chime in!

So, if the recommendation is away from frames, what's the alternative to frame functionality using CSS layouts? (I'd like to avoid javascript too since so many people disable it).
Like i said frames have be replaced by server side includes but they don't entirely work the same as frames.These might be a css option for you:http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/frame.htmlhttp://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/body2.htmlTo change the content though without refreshing the page i think you would realy require javascript. Well at least for an onclick, you could probably do it with an :hover in css.I don't think that many people have javascript disabled (5% springs to mind :) )

I don't think that many people have javascript disabled (5% springs to mind  :) )

It's been hovering around 10% forever.http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.aspApparently 3% of people are still running in 256 colors. But at least 640x480 is dead (except for PDAs). And apparently there are 8 brave souls out there clinging to Netscape version 1http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/June/browser.php