Page size/loading time

The Praetorian

I've had a few comments from people about the size of my website. Now, most of the people who will be using my site (my target audience) have high-speed internet, but I'd still like to get an idea of my options. I have a large image as my background, as well as images underlaying my text-link navigation. Now, these images are all imbedded in Css, and if I understand css correctly, then the person should only need to load these images once, right? After that they're saved in cookies? (Unless they have cookies turned off.)Here's my site, if anyone wants to take a look. Click me. I used the link that was posted some time ago, to a site that evaluates your load times, and according to that on a dial-up connection my site takes 56 seconds. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can lower my load times without sacrificing my images?

You can't just change the extension on your images you would have to open them in a program like photoshop and resave them (prefereable with 'save for web') as a different file type.When saving an image for hte web with photoshop it tells you how big the image is and how long it will take to load on a 28.8K modem.

does paint shop pro have a 'save for web' or 'optimize' option? You need to ivaluate which file type to use with your needs. Generally JPG is smaller than GIF, but not always.Look for the 'optimize' option it will decrease the size greatly. Then play witht he 3 different file types until you get the file size you want with the quality you need. Sometimes you have to compromise.

but the fact remains that as a gif it was larger than it was as a jpg.
That happens to me with Photoshop on the odd occasion, i tend to just save it as a .jpg rather than .gifI think mostly a .gif is smaller in size than a .jpg - probably because of it's reduced choice of colours 256