List Style - Image and Numbering?

jdanielp

Just wondering if anyone knows of a straightforward way in which to use CSS to include both an image and a number indicating the order before each element in a basic HTML list?It would seem that setting a 'list-style-image' simply over-rides any 'list-style-type' that may have been defined, but ideally I would like to display both, preferably so that each list item is preceeded by a common image followed by a number indicating its position.Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help!

Actually there is a way!Create your list normaly with numbers. With css simply add the image as a background for each <li>. Place the background image on the left.

Actually there is a way!Create your list normaly with numbers. With css simply add the image as a background for each <li>. Place the background image on the left.

Are you sure this works, If i add the background image to the ul then i have to add repeat-y which doesn't match up the pic and textIf i wrote it as li then the image covers the text.

I tried it for the li element and it kind of works, but puts the image between the normal list numbering and the list text, rather than before the numbering as I had been hoping for. I can't seem to fix it by means of altering the background image positioning either...