MP4 file in my website won't run in the Firefox browser on Linux systems

babyboomer

Okay, here's my dilemma…

I've published a website which runs an MP4 file. I've tested the site in numerous browsers, including Opera and Safari. The problem is that when using Firefox to access the site from a Linux system, the video doesn't run. I tried switching from MP4 to WEBM. That solved the problem with Firefox. Unfortunately, the trade-off was that the Microsoft browsers won't run the WEBM file. I guess one consolation might be that the percentage of people using Firefox to access my site from a Linux system is relatively small. But that's pure speculation on my part.

I did find error messages in the log:

Capture.thumb.jpg.3ca3b17dd1472b8b6a2ad804fe75c55a.jpg

I even conducted a little bit of online research. Ultimately I concluded that there wasn't much I could do about it other than including an admonition to the users. I believe I saw a recommendation to add something to the .htaccess file. Unfortunately, I don't remember what that recommendation was. I didn't follow through on that, but if something can be added to the .htaccess file that would help, it's worth a try. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by babyboomer