not sure what the trouble is

aspnetguy

I have a webserver running at home using apache 2.0, PHP5, and MySQL.I have a domain and 4 subdomains setup. Everything works fine locally on my network but accessing some of the subdomains acts strangely fromt he outside.For example my blog ( http://blog.aspnetguy.com ) which is runnin with WordPress 2.0.3 will not load at all in Internet Explorer and in FireFox and Opera the pages only partially load and it requires multiple refreshes to view the whole page.For the subdomain I have to use phpMyAdmin parts of the stylesheet are not applied and again refreshing the page either helps or makes it worse.The wierdest part is that 1 of the subdomains ( http://forums.aspnetguy.com ) running Invision Power Board 1.31 works perfectly and has had no problems. As a note I did have to make some modifications to the IPB software to get it to run correctly with PHP5 (not sure if this is what is causing problems with the other software).All the DNs is setup the same for all 4 subdomains so I don't think that is the issue.So what could it be? Is apahce not configured correctly, is my router interfering with serving up pages, is the software conflicting with PHP5?Any ideas would be very appreciated since I have run out of them. :eek: This thread http://forums.aspnetguy.com/index.php?showtopic=33 has some more detilas on the strangenessThanks,

memery? why check the memory?If the memory was bad (I know nothing about memory issues btw) then wouldn't I have problems locally as well as remotely. As of know, I am only having issues accessing pages from outside the network.

Aspnet...it might be because of Littlegoats 'ie bug fixer' article. Try setting that to invisible and checking the page? :)

It might be a firewall issue, and it sort of sounds like a too-many-connections issue, where it may be sending the page fine, but the connection for the CSS sheet fails or something. Neither of these are very easy to troubleshoot though.

I wondered if XP would still limit me to 5 users even if I used Apache.Although I highly doubt there is always 5 users on the sites everytime I go there (I know there isn't).I am going to be playing with win server 2033 the next couple days but I will check my firewall settings.

Aspnet...it might be because of Littlegoats 'ie bug fixer' article. Try setting that to invisible and checking the page? :)

thanks for the suggestion but it is happening on other sites besides the blog, phpmyadmin for example.Strangly the forums are not effected.

The firewall is off and the webserver is completely exposed to the internet. There should be no intereference from the router now.so does anyone still have troble viewing this site http://blog.aspnetguy.com ?

I can see it, but honestly said, few days ago, when the forum was opened I was able to see it too. I wasn't able to see if I could open it earlier today though.

Damn, is that already available on MSDN?  Is that a beta?  Maybe that's your problem!

ummm....errrr...beta? No. It is a copy of an educational version I got from the college I went to. Shhhh!I am not using server 2003 right now. I am using apache on winXP

by the way, that isn't my article. I think it's reportingsjr's.I can see the page, but it's all messed up, with two of the top banner, and down at the bottom scotts article is replaced by mine halfway through. lol. :) sorry, I really shouldn't laugh.

Right.  I was referring to "win server 2033", which I didn't even know they had announced yet.

oops sorry.So I have tried turning off my firewall which made no difference. I did notice that everything works 100% when logging directly into the webserver, but if I access it from my other computer (on the same network) then the problems are there.I was going to install win server 2003 this morning but my spare harddrive died...it would format to 99% then hang. I am currently in the market for a good used har drive. Hopefully I 'll find something soon and then I can see if it is apache that is the issue since I don't know much about configuring it.

turns out PHP5 is the trouble. WP and Php MyAdmin aren't made to work with PHP5...and I had modified the forums to work with PHP5 before opening them so that explains why they remained uneffected.I did find a PHP5 friendly theme for WP so it is readable now but the admin area is still a bit wonky.Once I do some testing I may back down to PHP4 just so everything works correctly.