value clause in input parameter

Guest charlied

Guest charlied

I have a HTML form. I have several <input type="text"> lines. After the user enters a value in one of these input boxes, I would like the input to remain in the box. I would like to keep the same form/file to be used as input and output. I am using PHP as the scripting language. I am new to this as well. My input clause looks like this:<input type="text" name="Name1" size="11" maxlength="11" value="<?=$name?>">I can initialize it by setting it like this in front of the form:<?PHP if ( ! isset ($_POST['submit'])) { $name = ""; }?>After I enter a piece of data such as: jdoe I then do this:<?PHP if ( isset($_POST['submit'])) { $name = $_POST['Name1']; }?>The $name never remains set in the window. The field gets spaced out. Do I need to send a new form out?Thanks...

I guess there are two things to look at. Either $_POST['submit'] is not set, or <?=$name?> is not outputting the name. Try using long tags instead, but I doubt that's the problem:<?php=$name?>You can also look in the PHP forum for a thread I made on how to do single-page form processing, and it shows an example in there as well.

Try this, just inputing the value directly from the post contained in squiggly brackets :)

<?phpprint " <input type=\"text\" name=\"Name1\" size=\"11\" maxlength=\"11\" value=\"{$_POST['Name1']}\"> ";?>

• 5 weeks later...