Learning Java

Cronthenoob

I just arrived home from a local college because I wanted to sign up for a JAVA course. I have been teaching myself a little java here and there, and I'm getting pretty good at the basic concepts. They wouldn't allow me to sign up for the course because I did not take their "intro to QUICK BASIC" or "intro to VISUAL BASIC" courses. I've got an associates Degree in Web programming already, but they still insisted that I need to take those courses.My question is this:Does learning Java really require those two courses? Why do I need to know those two things in order to understand java if I've already got a background in programming?

that's crap. VB and JAVA are nothing a like. that is like saying you have to take my course in marine biology before I'll teach you JAVA...chances are oyu don't want to learn from them if that is their view on the subject.Invest your money in some good Java books instead. O'Rielly's Java Examples in a nutshell is really good, I have that book.

I learned VB6 as my very first progrmming language. It is very easy since Visual Studio does everything for you.When I got to Java the next semester, VB did not help at all. Java is very different and actually more strict.

The reason they are doing that is probably because they just want to make sure you know basic programming concepts before they get you started on Java. If you think you know enough, you may be able to test out of the intro course if they offer that.