is VBscript necessary?

Little Goat

I'm thinking about learning ASP or ASP.net and I was wondering, is it a big help to know VBscript first, and do I need to learn it? I know a fairly good amount in Javascript, but I've heard that it isn't as good.thanks.

I think Javascript is far superior to VBScript (if you are learning ASP classic). The downside is that the vast majority of examples and tutorials are in VB, since that is what Microsoft pushes.If you want to learn ASP.NET, your best choices are either C#.NET or VB.NET.

With ASP.NET, there is no Javascript or VBScript. The .NET platform operates on the theory of something called a "Common Language Runtime". The CLR basically allows you to write code in any language (there are over 40 languages supported) and have it all compile down to the same runtime code. So, you can use C# or VB.NET or even things like Ada and Fortran, and it all compiles down to a common codebase that gets executed under the .NET framework. Here is a list of languages that you can use:http://www.dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx(WTF, PHP.NET?? Oh, the humanity!! i take it back, Javascript is listed)Haha, there's a Spanish programming language called Lexico. +1 for creativity.