cms building

Linera

I'm trying to figure out how to build a cms for my site.So far I've had no luck figuring it out.I've looked at other cms and can't figure out how they built the layout without html, among other things like the admin section.So does anyone have any guides, tutorials, or any info on this subject?

You need to know what you're building before you start building it. You will probably want to read up on what a CMS is and what it does, and then design your own. Take a look at other CMSs and see what features they have. Once you have it designed, then you can start building it. If you try to build something without a design, it won't come out like you want it to. It's like trying to bake a cake without a recipe, or build a house without a blueprint.

You're building software though, you need to understand how you want the software to work, not necessarily look, before you start writing it. If you start writing software without knowing what you want the software to do, you're pretty much just shooting in the dark.

That's fine, but I don't think you're understanding me, so let me give you an example. When I wanted to build a photo gallery, I planned it out something like this:For the users, I wanted the users to be shown a list of galleries, and they could click on one of the galleries to see the images inside. The user could change how many images they want to see per page, and if they want to sort the images by name or date, ascending or descending. I wanted these options to be passed from page to page as well. When they click on an image, the page that displays it should show the image itself, plus the name, description, and date, with links to the next and previous images.For the admins, I wanted them to be able to log in and add new galleries. Galleries pretty much only need a name and description. To add images to a gallery, they would select the image on their computer, give it a name, description, and optional size. When the image gets uploaded, I wanted it to be resized to whatever size they chose, plus have a thumbnail made of the image at a certain size, and save both the original and the thumbnail in the database, along with all the other information for it. Admins should also be able to edit the information for a picture, including uploading a new image to replace it, and also delete any image. Admins should also be able to delete an entire gallery, which would delete all of the images in the gallery first, and then the gallery itself. I also wanted admins to be able to upload a zip file and create a new gallery based off the images in the zip file. So I needed the system to accept the zip upload, decompress the files, and loop through the file list, skipping any file that wasn't an image, and resizing and adding the others to the new gallery.Once I had all of my features and requirements, then I could start programming it. I didn't know how to work with a database, so I did research on that and figured out how to set up my galleries and images tables. I didn't know how to deal with uploaded files, so I researched that and figured out how to read the file that was uploaded and add it to the database. I didn't know how to resize images or create thumbnails, so I researched that and figured out how to do it. The same with zip files, I didn't know how to do that so I researched it and figured out a way that I could do it. By the time I was finished with each individual feature, I had a photo gallery that did everything I wanted it to when I designed it.This is how you need to approach your CMS. You need to figure out all of the requirements you have, and the features you want the software to have. Once you have it all designed, then you start going down your list of features and research and implement each individual thing. You can read a tutorial on how to build a CMS, but the tutorial will be based off of someone else's requirements and desired features, so you will basically end up building a piece of software that was designed by someone else. If that works for you, that's fine, or you can download a pre-built CMS, but if you want to build your own you need to design the software first, and then figure out how you implement each of the individual features.

I already know what its for.It for my clan site.
If it's for a clan site, you'll want your members to be able to access certain features and guests not to be able to access said features. You'll probably want a streamlined way for moderators to add, edit and delete news, info, and other information. You may want a poll system. You'll also need to think about which mod gets what, you don't want your graphics moderator fooling around in the scripting part, and vice versa.You'll need to figure out what you want to do, and how your code will do that. Basically as stated in the post before mine :)