vertical-align

Cronthenoob

I went through the CSS tutorial and tried using the vertical-align attribute. And it isnt vertically aligning my divs contents. Heres the code. The problem is with the loginarea div.

<html> <head> <style type="text/css">  body {   margin-top:25px;   margin-bottom:25px;   margin-left:5px;   margin-right:5px;   background-color:black;  }  .mainwrapper {   width:100%;   margin:0px;   padding:0px;   text-align:left;  }  .header {   width:100%;   border:1px solid grey;   height:100px;  }  .loginarea {   color:white;   width:100%;   border:0px;   padding:1px;   height:50px;   background-image:url('images/bg-1.gif');   vertical-align:middle;     }  .footer {   width:100%;   height:24px;   background-color:#E4E4E4;  } </style>  <title>	Title  </title> </head> <body>  <div class="mainwrapper">   <div class="header">   </div><br />   <div class="loginarea">   Username:<input type="text" name="username" />   Password:<input type="password" password="password" />   </div><br />   <div class="footer">   </div>  </div> </body></html>

The login boxes should be vertically centered in the login div.
I think you misunderstand what vertical-align is, it applies only to inline elements not block.It's not a substitute for html v-align which is used with tables for example when aligning elements.This example is a good visual of what it's about: http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/text...ical-align.html