Introeuction

sh50

Hi! My name is Hiren. I came to know of w3shoos.com yesterday and I have been obsessed with it ever since. It's a fantastic site for newcommers and really lives up to its motto" The best things in the world are free" . It is certainly the best thing that has happened to me for a long time. I must convvey my appreication to the owners of the site for their initiative and fine gesture.I am keen on knowing more about multimedia and webdiesigning. Webdesinging has been covered very well by w3schools. Is there any similar site for multimedia which explains the basics lucidly and comrehensively- which software(pagemaker, photoshop, illustrator, flash) etc does what( graphic deisining, animation, editing with their submodules etc). I understand that this forum has a multimedia section but since I don't know anything about it, can somebody tell me if there is a simiar site for multimedia as well. Thank you.Thanks a ton to the owners of w3schools. God bless you. :)

Well, there's this:http://www.w3schools.com/media/default.aspBut that's really more about multimedia implementation in websites. W3schools doesn't really teach multimedia content creation, other than Flash and SVG. W3schools was created to teach web-technologies. But there are probably many online tutorials on media-creation out there, you'll just have to look for it on google or yahoo or some other search engine.

Well, there's this:http://www.w3schools.com/media/default.aspBut that's really more about multimedia implementation in websites. W3schools doesn't really teach multimedia content creation, other than Flash and SVG. W3schools was created to teach web-technologies. But there are probably many online tutorials on media-creation out there, you'll just have to look for it on google or yahoo or some other search engine.
Thanks for the reply :) . I have been through the media section. It is interersting. Actually, the multimedia courses are so prohibitvely expensive that one has to know what exactly one is learning. They just say that they will teach photoshop or illustrator without specifying what they are going to teach. Tou have done it so well by having so many submodules than any newbie can benefit.My multimedia content creation you would mean creating text, pictures, graphics, sound, video, animation and then displaying or playing them I suppose. What all does one have to learn in all this sound and video editing for instance. What else? What all does one learn to justify the high cost I just want to know the submodules of graphic design, animation and whatever it is that multimedia covers.Kindly let me know that in google should I just type multimedia or anything more specific.Regards

Well, Adobe at least have online tutorials for Photoshop (image editing)...http://studio.adobe.com/us/search/sort?x=1...l&level=allalso for Premiere (video editing):http://studio.adobe.com/us/search/sort?sor...l&level=all

Well, Adobe at least have online tutorials for Photoshop (image editing)...http://studio.adobe.com/us/search/sort?x=1...l&level=allalso for Premiere (video editing):http://studio.adobe.com/us/search/sort?sor...l&level=all
Thanks a lot, sir. That was great. That should do for the time being. So the basic elements of multimedia is image(graphics and photographs) and video creation and editing. Another could be audio creation and editing. Image would cover animnation also I suppose. Hope there is no other category. Thanks a lot.

Well, yeah, there's audio mixing of course. And animation can be done in image editing programs like ImageReady (small animation files, GIFs), or in 3D programs (if you're talking big animation like the Ice Age movies)

Well, yeah, there's audio mixing of course. And animation can be done in image editing programs like ImageReady (small animation files, GIFs), or in 3D programs (if you're talking big animation like the Ice Age movies)
Thanks again. I basically wanted to be aware of the major submodule terminologies such as audio mixing and image editing etc. Mulimedia schools charge a packed and one should be aware of at least the major functions that one is going to learn. They only say that they are going to teach so and so package wihout specifying what one will learn. Can you please let me know the major functions(like image editing and audio mixing ) of the following:-PhotoshpFlashIllustrator/pagemakerAdobe premierI will google for the details then. Only the major functions if it is possible. I am unaware of the basic terminologies.Thanks

Photoshop- Raster image editing.Flash- Vector image and animation editing in Flash's own format.Illustrator- Vector image editing in varios vector formats with the ability to export the vector image to a raster one.Pagemaker- Rich text editor as far as I'm aware. Much like MS Word. I think it also has some minor vector image editing capabilities.Premier- Video editing and audio mixing. It's what montagers use to cut a video at one point, slow it down, add a specific sound somewhere in the place of another, etc.This is perhaps the time to explain the terms used:Raster images are described pixel by pixel. The computer reads something like "black pixel at 1x1, black pixel at 1x2, black pixel at 1x3" etc.Vector images on the other hand are described by formulas. Some (like SVG) are even editable by text editors and are able to contain animations. The computer reads "black line from pixel 1x1 to pixel 1x3". In many cases this can save space but it could also give portability. A text written in a vector graphic could later be edited by someone with an editor, whereas Raster images can's be edited so smoothly. I mean, there will always be some sort of loss of quality.Raster images however are sometimes the best option on the web, because they are more supported (vector images often requre a special viewer) and are easier to add special effects on due to the fact that vector formulas are harder to convert from one point to another without them being predefined on the first place.Another thing to be noted is that Premier is about combing different sounds and videos. It has some minor editing capabilities, but it's not the thing you must look for if you want for example to create a new sound. For that, you would need to record that sound, or few others and use Premier or another editor to combine them into one new sound. Or if it's a music, then use a special music creation program to compose your song. With Premier you may add a video to that song.