doc type actually hurts my code?

Kovo

Hey, check out www.kovo.ca/1/index.shtmlIf I put the <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">in, the columns stop like they do there and dont extend all the way down the page. Once I remove the doc type its fine again.Do I treuly need the doc type?

Hm. Well, looking at the source code for that page, you have <html> twice... which may or may not be causing a problem. You only need that tag once per html page.I'm sure someone else will come along with a better explanation of doctypes.
I dont see the duplicate entry...

The DOCTYPE declaration is necessary for your code to validate. However if all you're concerned with is how your site looks - nothing else - then you can remove the doctype.HOWEVER: Having valid code means that your site is compatible with future browsers and the constantly evolving web language. I recommend you find what is wrong and correct it so that the DOCTYPE declaration does not alter your page.

Your starting page is good. What The Praetorian refers to is your main page. And he's not bluffing either. Just look:

<div class="text">			<html>	<head>		<title>HOMENC</title>	</head>	<body>

I understand the problem here. You are using .shtml. So if my guess is correct, your main page has something like:

<div class="text"><!--#include virtual="homenc.html" -->

in it. To solve this problem, simply correct your homenc.shtml file so that it's not a valid HTML. Get rid of it's wrappers (html and body tags + head setion) and you'll be OK.As for the starting page. I don't see a problem. You mind giving it a DTD so the odd behavior could be observed?

Your starting page is good. What The Praetorian refers to is your main page. And he's not bluffing either. Just look:
<div class="text">			<html>	<head>		<title>HOMENC</title>	</head>	<body>

I understand the problem here. You are using .shtml. So if my guess is correct, your main page has something like:

<div class="text"><!--#include virtual="homenc.html" -->

in it. To solve this problem, simply correct your homenc.shtml file so that it's not a valid HTML. Get rid of it's wrappers (html and body tags + head setion) and you'll be OK.As for the starting page. I don't see a problem. You mind giving it a DTD so the odd behavior could be observed?

Hmm yes, I did it, but now its even worse. I changed the file to a TXT and removed all body,head,html tags. I also added a dtd<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">Now look at www.kovo.ca/1/homeb.shtml

That's probably due to the faux nature of the columns. Specifying a width to the middle column should fix the problem, but judging what this size should be is another question.

That's probably due to the faux nature of the columns. Specifying a width to the middle column should fix the problem, but judging what this size is is another question.
I seemed to have fixed it. By giving the body and html tags a background, I can extend that same image down the page and contrict the center content. It worked, but if someone with IE7 and FF can confirm it on thier owns pcs that would be great.

Looks fine in my IE7 and Opera 9, but not in FF 1.5.0.7. This may be due to it's cashing though. I'll try it some time later. Anyone else having an opinion?

Looks fine in my IE7 and Opera 9, but not in FF 1.5.0.7. This may be due to it's cashing though. I'll try it some time later. Anyone else having an opinion?
I have the same FF version as you and it works good.... but that depends on whats not working lol

It is working fine on IE 6, and I really like the different color schemes, the only problem is the green one, it doesn't work properly.
Hmm, well everything should be working fine now. I even added a music player. Let me know if everything loads good. Thanks for everything guys.

Another thing, I dont know if uve noticed, but FFand IE seem to ignore the style rules for links. Check my links out on both browsers, the hover doesnt work on one but it does on the other and vise versa. And some links on the same page do have the hover style and others dont...wtf? lol

Thanks for the link, I will check it out soon, I was having the same problem with my styles, if you are using a style sheet then it needs to be exact.I have got my style sheet to work with both FF and IE, here it is, you can use it if you like, or you can just follow the structure of it.a:link { color:#0000ff; text-decoration:none; }a:visited { color:#0000ff; text-decoration:none; }a:hover { color:#006633; text-decoration:underline overline; }a.2:link { color:#0000ff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold; }a.2:visited { color:#0000ff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold; }a.2:hover { color:#006633; text-decoration:underline overline; font-weight:bold; }a.3:link { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; }a.3:visited { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; }a.3:hover { color:#006633; text-decoration:underline overline; }a.4:link { color:#ff0000; text-decoration:none; }a.4:visited { color:#ff0000; text-decoration:none; }a.4:hover { color:#006633; text-decoration:underline overline; }The 2, 3, and 4 are just different class' so I can have different types of links, the first one will work for all normal links, then the second will work if you do this:<a class="2" href="mypage.html">Hello</a>...and so on, I think you get it, if not just contact me