designer copyright question

ible-white

when u build a website, do u automatically have the priviledge of putting ur name at the bottom of the website- as u r the one who did the work? OR do u have to ask/ discuss such with the client as to if ur name/ company can be placed there? (a paying client).---------------------------------------------(ps: i hope this was not asked b4. i have been trying to do searches in this forum, but for the past few days i've been getting errors while trying to search)--------------------------------------------thx for the response.

You are allowed to put your LEGAL NAME there with a copyright sign, or if you own a company, the company's full name. But the client may not like this--you'll have to ask them if it's all right. But you do have the privelage, if you made everything yourself.

It depends on the contract. If it is a work for hire, then you don't even own the copyright, the client does. But it's never a good idea to put things on your client's website without clearing it with them first. It might also be a good idea to have a small, unobtrusive image ready to show them that you can link to your site, or just use a text link like "Designed by xyz".