questions, questions

john19681

hello everyone,i have a small favour.every year for school in gifted class we have to do a really big essay called an independent study.but this year we have to do that AND in it we have to have at least one interview from a professional in that area.so if you have the time can you answer this short interview. I know some of these questions are answered in the tutorials but they aren't very thorough and i don't think my classmates will understand it (they are only grade 6) . And some things can be done with other ways (like javascript things can also be done with php)P.S. Can you include your full name i dont want to tell my teacher that i interviewed this guy called "greg12395" or something.1. What is the purpose of XML? (i don't really know :) )2. What do normal progammers (everyday ones) do with Javascript? Do you use it constantly?3. What browser do you think is the best? (your honest opinion)4. Will XML affect the future of data transfer? (I know it sounds reallly cheesy :) )5. Do you use XML frequently on a daily basis and what do you usually do with it?6. What browser do you think has the best web standards?7. In 2010 or something, what browser do you think will have the most users?8. In 2010, what browser to you think will have the second most users?9. Are WYSIWYG editors good? Or some hand coding thing?10. What do you normally use?thankyouverymuch for your time :) :ph34r:

Hi John and welcome to the forums. :blink: 1. What is the purpose of XML? (i don't really know :) )There are many parts to xml but essentialy it's a means of describing data2. What do normal progammers (everyday ones) do with Javascript? Do you use it constantly?I personally use it for things like dynamic menus, form validation and generally improving the user experience. I would say i use it when necessary, it's more of a luxury than a necessity3. What browser do you think is the best? (your honest opinion)Opera 4. Will XML affect the future of data transfer? (I know it sounds reallly cheesy :) )Yes, its primary purpose is to facilitate the sharing of data across different systems. So for example i could have an xml data store which could work with both Access and Oracle databases, well hopefully :) 5. Do you use XML frequently on a daily basis and what do you usually do with it?Not as much as i would like6. What browser do you think has the best web standards?Opera7. In 2010 or something, what browser do you think will have the most users?Hopefully Opera8. In 2010, what browser to you think will have the second most users?Hopefully Firefox9. Are WYSIWYG editors good? Or some hand coding thing?I have used the odd one which i have found good, generaly dreamweaver is regarded as the best. It's always worth knowing what's going on in the background though so having an understanding of raw code and how it works is definately an advantage.10. What do you normally use?Notepad2Scott Wilson

Hi,my name is Khalid ShawkaniI will answer what i knowand my English is not goodBut In my Opinin this is will be Questionnaires rather than Interview! :) 1. What is the purpose of XML? (i don't really know :) )No answer2. What do normal progammers (everyday ones) do with Javascript? Do you use it constantly?for display Crousor tail, dynamic menu, display the clock at the site, to prevent right click, to provide a textin status bar and so on3. What browser do you think is the best? (your honest opinion)I use only internet explorerNo, answer4. Will XML affect the future of data transfer? (I know it sounds reallly cheesy :) )No answer5. Do you use XML frequently on a daily basis and what do you usually do with it?No answer6. What browser do you think has the best web standards?I think firefox7. In 2010 or something, what browser do you think will have the most users?firefox8. In 2010, what browser to you think will have the second most users?internet explorer9. Are WYSIWYG editors good? Or some hand coding thing?no answer10. What do you normally use?Dreamweaverthankyouverymuch for your time

1. What is the purpose of XML? (i don't really know :) ) It is a way to store and structure data2. What do normal progammers (everyday ones) do with Javascript? Do you use it constantly? It depends, I use it alot to make pages more interactive or add effects, look into AJAx3. What browser do you think is the best? (your honest opinion)Opera...4. Will XML affect the future of data transfer? (I know it sounds reallly cheesy :) )yes it already has, it is the transfer layer between applications (Web Services)5. Do you use XML frequently on a daily basis and what do you usually do with it?I use it to log site hits, store website settings, etc6. What browser do you think has the best web standards?Opera...it is a fact not just my opinion!7. In 2010 or something, what browser do you think will have the most users????8. In 2010, what browser to you think will have the second most users????9. Are WYSIWYG editors good? Or some hand coding thing?No, hand coding is much better10. What do you normally use?Notepad2

Hello, my name is Jon Neal1. What is the purpose of XML?It is a structured data lanuage (holds infromation)2. What do normal progammers (everyday ones) do with Javascript? Do you use it constantly?Anything they need, it depends on what you are asking. I dont use it constantly, but I use it in most of my web pages3. What browser do you think is the best? (your honest opinion)Firefox4. Will XML affect the future of data transfer?I dont know, it may or may not. SQL and XML are kind of at a tie right now. I havent seen too much done with XML besides RSS features. Its not a very safe thing to use with passwords and such.5. Do you use XML frequently on a daily basis and what do you usually do with it?Nope, ive never used it on a large scale6. What browser do you think has the best web standards?Firefox and Opera have the best. IE worst7. In 2010 or something, what browser do you think will have the most users?IE, other browsers have a loooong way to go before they catch up with it. Its almost 2007 and aout 80% of internet users still use it. Plus since its default for windows, most people dont realize that there is another web browser besides maybe Netscape Navigator.8. In 2010, what browser to you think will have the second most users?Most likely firefox, Opera has a good chance but very few people actually use it. I think it was around 1~2% last time I checked. While firefox had 15% at that time9. Are WYSIWYG editors good? Or some hand coding thing?No, most definetly not. They add many many uneeded things into your code. I do believe that dreamweaver has another option that leaves your code alone though.10. What do you normally use?Editpad lite, suites my needs!Hope you like these responses!

Yours truly Vasil Rangelov... "thank you, thank you very much" (Elvis' style) :) .1. What is the purpose of XML?It's hard to describe in one sentence and being understood at the same time, but in general it's about defining data.2. What do normal progammers (everyday ones) do with Javascript? Do you use it constantly?Actually, I don't use it at all, because I barely understand it. I already know what I'm going to use it for though. For validating and manipulating forms, switching stylesheets maybe and... I don't know. For anything that won't have a big accessability impact and which can degrade gracefully with JS off.3. What browser do you think is the best? (your honest opinion)I use IE7, mostly because I want to be in the consumers' skin, but I think Opera is the best.4. Will XML affect the future of data transfer?As said, it already has and it does more every day. Mock my words, that XML and it's companions will be rediscovered once IE supports completely CSS2.1 (and some of CSS3 maybe) and XHTML's MIME type.5. Do you use XML frequently on a daily basis and what do you usually do with it?Oh yeah. I usually transform it into XHTML by using XSLT and attempt to build flexible DB free applications. I'm still in the process of learning by trial & error, so I can't really brag with accomplishments.6. What browser do you think has the best web standards?Looking at this I'm really stuggling between FF2 and O9, but let's say it's FF2, scince it's the latest.7. In 2010 or something, what browser do you think will have the most users?IE. No question about it. It's bundled with Windows and that's why MS are not going to be beaten from the first place. Firefox and/or Opera may eventually get something like ~40% of the people, but more (let's say ~55%) will still be in IE.8. In 2010, what browser to you think will have the second most users?That is a harder question to answer. Firefox and Opera develop so fast that it is impossible to predict. I guess they will have almost equal share of users, if we suppose Opera's fens will grow and FF's won't fall, but won't increase that much.9. Are WYSIWYG editors good? Or some hand coding thing?Most, if not all WYSIWYG editors are cursed with table based layouts and HTML fonts. Fortunatly, Dreamwaver 8's WYSIWYG abilities promote the usage of CSS at least for fonts, but it still uses tables for layout. Until IE's support for CSS is complete, WYSIWYG editors will remain cursed.10. What do you normally use?I use Dreamwaver 8, but not it's WYSIWYG abilities. I use it only in coder mode, where the features are just... dreamy (pretty much like the name of the editor).

Its pretty much a language that holds info. Here is an example that holds, say a date:

<day><date>2006-10-30</date></day>

Now, there are many more things you can do with it. so you make your own tags to define content like <post><id>1</id><author>Reportingsjr</author><content>Testing</content></post>etc.. Like I said, you can do alot more.

XML is like the core of markup languages. The core of XML based languages to be more precise. It's like a set of rules to define a markup language used in any application.The most freqent use of custom XMLs however is a data storage similar to MySQL, because that's probably the only sort of language for which there isn't already a standart language.However, if you look at any XML language which is not a W3C standart, but is still popular, you'll see XML only as a framework for building other languages. Take X3D for example. It's an XML based language for defining 3D graphics. Without a proper viewer/editor, it's plain XML file. RSS is also a plain XML document, unless viewed with an RSS reader.In other words, XML allows you to create your own set of elements that you can adopt for all of the applications that will be using the contents of that XML. By using XSLT, you can convert other people's format to yours and vise versa. Scince XHTML is what's used most oftenly for displaying data, the most frequent converts are from custom XML to XHTML. However, that XML may also be converted into any other XML based language, like the above mentioned X3D or SVG perhaps, enabling other types of application to reuse one piece of data.