Linux

Caligo

Hey all. I'm thinking about getting into Linux. I just requested for Ubuntu. That way I can try it free then install if I want to keep it for good (good chance :)) Then I remembered Linspire. Has anyone here used either Ubuntu or Linspire?What are the pros and cons you have found for each?Which would you suggest?Other flavors? (ie RedHat, SuSE, etc.)

I've been thinking of having both Kubuntu and Win xp installed on my machine because I'm tired of all the security flaws in Win xp even though I have all the security I need. I've read a lot about Ubuntu (Gnome) and Kubuntu (KDE), they seem very user friendly. There is still the problem of compatibility like the mouse not being detected, usb thumb drive, webcam... It does look very nice though. The major down side is I can't use all the software I currently use on Windows (photoshop, dreamweaver, games...). I thought about it and I'll stay with Win XP for now and get the best anti-virus kaspersky. It seems like it detects everything (more than any other anti-virus) but the only issues seems to be with the installation. Some are not able to install it. I was using Redhat and Mandrake in school some ~5 years ago but we mostly used the console for configuring the system.All this to say that you should try dual boot first (win xp and ubuntu on same machine) so if you need your win software you just reboot.

I've been thinking of having both Kubuntu and Win xp installed on my machine because I'm tired of all the security flaws in Win xp even though I have all the security I need. I've read a lot about Ubuntu (Gnome) and Kubuntu (KDE), they seem very user friendly. There is still the problem of compatibility like the mouse not being detected, usb thumb drive, webcam... It does look very nice though. The major down side is I can't use all the software I currently use on Windows (photoshop, dreamweaver, games...). I thought about it and I'll stay with Win XP for now and get the best anti-virus kaspersky. It seems like it detects everything (more than any other anti-virus) but the only issues seems to be with the installation. Some are not able to install it. I was using Redhat and Mandrake in school some ~5 years ago but we mostly used the console for configuring the system.All this to say that you should try dual boot first (win xp and ubuntu on same machine) so if you need your win software you just reboot.
Yep, that's what I been thinking.I was planning on doing dual boot, at least until I am positive that I am going to stick with Linux. I agree though, Ubuntu looks and sounds pretty cool.Thanks for the input though. Much appreciated :)

I have played with Xububtu a bit and like that is more lightweight than GNOME or KDE. I found GNOME slugish on a P3 600Mhz with 512Mb RAM
Yeah, from what I was reading Ubuntu eats ram and processor. I'm not really worried though, I have a bit over a gig of ram and an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz processor (planning on upgrading in a month or two) So it should be alright, or maybe I really don't know what I'm talking about :)Thanks for the input too :)

reason I was worried about performence was obviously because of the slow CPU and I was going to use it as a server but went with Windows Server 2003 instead although I keep playing witht eh idea of switching to Ubuntu everytime IIS crashes :)

reason I was worried about performence was obviously because of the slow CPU and I was going to use it as a server but went with Windows Server 2003 instead although I keep playing witht eh idea of switching to Ubuntu everytime IIS crashes :)
:) Well, all I can say is if you do go to Ubuntu, go for the newest version (6.10), it's supposed to be lighter than the previous version (6.06), for memory anyways.

• 8 months later...

So Caligo, did you install Ubuntu?I'll be buying a hard drive anytime soon to install ubuntu on it. I really wanna see what it's like.