hide my files?

midnite

excuse me, is it possible to let my clients to "see" my files, but avoiding them to download it ?let's say a picture, i think of using Flash. Use the flash to load in the picture, and my client can "see" it. And the file of the picture won't leave in the client's computer (will it ?).How about if that is a PDF, or a document file, or even an .EXE? is it possible?for instant, if it is possible to send only a bit of a file to the client. if my client need for another page or the next stage, then i send again the another a bit to him... in fact i don't know how to do it, i just have such an idea and wanna see if it is possible..Thank you very much!

excuse me, is it possible to let my clients to "see" my files, but avoiding them to download it ?let's say a picture, i think of using Flash. Use the flash to load in the picture, and my client can "see" it. And the file of the picture won't leave in the client's computer (will it ?).How about if that is a PDF, or a document file, or even an .EXE? is it possible?for instant, if it is possible to send only a bit of a file to the client. if my client need for another page or the next stage, then i send again the another a bit to him... in fact i don't know how to do it, i just have such an idea and wanna see if it is possible..Thank you very much!
I am not quite understanding what you are asking.. Are you trying to display a list of the files on a server for your clients? Please try to be more clear on your question :)

Generally, once the data leaves the server, it is inside the Client's Browser. A simple "view source" will allow them to "save page as" and capture the data. If you have the ability to control what they receive via server-side scripting, then use that to control the flow of data to the client's Browser.

Generally, once the data leaves the server, it is inside the Client's Browser. A simple "view source" will allow them to "save page as" and capture the data. If you have the ability to control what they receive via server-side scripting, then use that to control the flow of data to the client's Browser.
ngng.. i think as you do.in fact, this is a question that raised by my friend.let's think out something like youtube, is it that they load the movies by Flash, and a part by a part.. and we won't have the whole movie files leave in our computer, right? though i know that there's some ways to get the movie files, but in the website of youtube, you can't directly get it..can this "loading part by part" concept apply to other types of files, such as PDF or a GAME EXE?but, is it true that youtube can do it because they make use of the Flash Player? if we have to achieve this concept to types of files that Flash Player doesn't support, is it true that we need to write up our only client side "Player"? it will be quite a big project eh. can the browser act as our "Player"??Thanks again!

Actually, the entire file is laoded to your computer and left there at YouTube.They put the movies in a Flash player so that they can stream them easily, and so that its a little bit more difficult for users to access them, but ifsomeone wants to they can get them anyways.

If you are offering a file online, you cannot restrict what people can do with it, that's just the nature of the internet. The internet was built as a series of protocols designed to communicate and spread information, and that's all it does. If you want someone to be able to run an EXE, they download the entire file to their local machine first, and then load the file from disk into memory, and then execute the file from memory. The same thing happens with a PDF, or an image, or a Flash movie. The entire file gets saved, then loaded into memory, then executed or read. There are technologies to stream content, such as a movie, but you cannot stream an executable.

in fact, i support to idea of open source and free software. this is only a question that raised by my friend, that i feel that this may be an interesting topic to study. in the world of internet and technology, hiding knowledge or ideas should not be encourged :)thanks for your enthusiastic replies. yet i think it will be more constructive to examine the science of encrypting sensitive data instead of hiding kid's stuff.

Encryption is totally different then hiding your data. Encrypted data is not hidden, it is just obfuscated. And a computer can not use data that is encrypted, it must be decrypted in order to be executed or used. So, encryption would help if you are sending sensitive data across a network and you don't want it to get intercepted, but the computer you are sending the data to will still decrypt it into a normal state. It's like when you get a page over HTTPS. It doesn't look any different to you then a normal page, because your computer decrypts it. The encryption only applies to the transmission.