My Website In Progress

DarkxPunk

Hey everyone, So I have been working on www.beta.ormt.ca for quite a bit. Its going to be a search engine for clients to find Registered Massage Therapists in my province Ontario, in Canada. Obviously if you visit today you will notice there is no working search engine, and that will come in time. What I am curious about though is what you all think of the design. Feel free to rip me apart in how I built the site, how the colors are, the layout, anything. Only through critiques do we really ever learn. Also check it out on iPhones/iPod Touches, and iPads its all customized to work great on them and even works in IE 6 :oThanks for all the comments and critiques.

I agree with DDs1, need more blue or other colors. But it looks nice. Also, as i went through the pages nothing visually expressed that this is a website for a "Registered Massage Therapist" or you didn't use those terms on the other pages to keep my mind on track about the purpose of the website. You kept using ORMT, which means nothing if you don't know what it stands for. You could possibly put in small script what ORMT stands for or something to that effect.

What's the "hook" supposed to be? What are you telling me that I haven't heard before?
Could you explain further? But let me maybe try and explain if I do understand. The hook is allot of people in Canada have a hard time finding Registered Massage Therapists. So I am finally offering a search engine that is allot more intricate in the sense they will have more search options. There are not many, if any website that work like this in Canada. So I am trying to fill a gap. My mother is a massage therapist so she provides allot of input, and gives me an edge on trends. Does that explain the hook?
Super bland. You need to add a colorful graphic or image. Read More, Comments, Wrong Date -- does what? Can you really own the words "Washington Area Shoe Repairmen" ?
Could you go deeper as to where, or why? My approach to this site is to be clean and simple, not flashy. I do agree though I do need something more to grab peoples attention. The date is the date posted, and as I stated before I have not built the backend so nothing has been added yet. And yes you can own something as such if its your business name. At least in Canada you can. Pretty sure its true in the US, and most other countries too.
so white, nice blue tho, but so white everything is just so white -_- more blue please
Could you explain where you think it would fit? The reason I posted this was to get peoples reactions and ideas, not simply comments like more blue.
I agree with DDs1, need more blue or other colors. But it looks nice. Also, as i went through the pages nothing visually expressed that this is a website for a "Registered Massage Therapist" or you didn't use those terms on the other pages to keep my mind on track about the purpose of the website. You kept using ORMT, which means nothing if you don't know what it stands for. You could possibly put in small script what ORMT stands for or something to that effect.
Ditto as the comment before... First off not all the content is done in respects to 'text', but if you read the first page I am pretty sure it explains everything, along with the first banner on the home page. Am I wrong? Also allot of business names mean nothing and most people don't understand them, but people still use the terms Adobe, or Apple. What do they mean? Apple as an example does not make you think computers. Its about getting a brand out there. Thanks for all your comments, and can't wait to hear some clarifications.

The difference between the adobe and apple brand VS your brand, is that they have been around for years. They are a well-established brand. Were as your brand, is still your baby, and needs to grow before it can stand on its own. All I’m trying to say is that if I didn’t read the home page I would not of known that the website is about "Registered Massage Therapist". If someone stumbles upon your website, then sees something other than the home page, they might be confused as to what they are seeing. Especially if you get older folk that are not tech savvy, get frustrated, and confused easily. Lastly in response to the color, as much as I like the grey logo, possibly adding color or blue to the logo might help spice up the website a bit. I don’t know what else I could tell you to do, since this is your creative project. In a weird way creating the look and feel of a website is kinda an art form. Which mean that when someone say it needs more blue or it is too bland, you as the Artist have to think outside the box a bit.

Edited by R0073N

...You kept using ORMT, which means nothing if you don't know what it stands for. You could possibly put in small script what ORMT stands for or something to that effect....
He did, if you bothered to look on his home page and the only other page with content "about ORMT". He states what (O)RMT stands for 3 or 4 times. But I agree with you and everone else in that the colour scheme is about as washed out as you could get. Darkxpunk:- Design something on paper first and take it from there. Edited by reg1965

Per post #6 - Put simply, your hook is how you're going to make people buy especially in a hyper-competitive environment. The old build it and they will come doesn't work any more especially in business to consumer markets. Just because you're one-of-a-kind just isn't good enough any more (and probably never was from the point of view of long-term sustainability). Your site has to scream some mix of simplicity, convenience, entertainment, productivity, and/or safety if you want to be relevant, let alone profitable. I deal with people everyday, that call themselves Owners, when. in reality. all they really own are the bills because they can't make people buy. You may think you're in the advertising/information business, but your clients are only hiring you so they can make profitable sales. This might seem like a high standard, but you must keep in mind that selling a site like yours is among the easiest first time sales there are until a business discovers that your dog don't hunt. Then, renewals are problematic at best and far from a sure thing and that's what real Owners are supposed to create - new certainties. Also, if you're doing all this work for free and you can't keep your clients, that's just a waste. Contrary to popular belief, time isn't money. Time is life so cram as much purpose into your site as you can in the time that you have. IMO

Edited by niche