Good looking links

Elevator_Hazard

I am very new to HTML but familiar and decent with other languages. I have seen a few really nice websites (.html) and they have a nice-looking navigation area. When you hover over the link, the box its in changes color, and I would like to know how to make something like that. (Probably uses tables, I can make tables and I am familiar with them)Thanks

I'm not going to say that you "can't" change the background colour of a table-cell when you hover over it, but it takes some client-side coding which is more than the Html you are learning. (ie: javascript) And I think another restriction will be the fact that IE doesn't work well (or at all) with the on:hover pseudo-class except for anchor tags.

Actually, :hover in IE7 works on all elements, not just anchors (<a>). I think :hover in IE6 also worked on <td>s.If you need "the cell to be a link", you can expand the link to fit in the dimensions of the cell. To do this, add "display:blick" as well as dimensions set to 100% to the link's properties. Like this for example:

a {			 color: blue;background: red;display:block;height: 100%;width: 100%;}a:hover {		 color: red;background: blue;display:block;height: 100%;width: 100%;}

P.S. The fact that you're new to a language is not an excuse not to use it. Not for CSS at least. You'll resolve to it sooner or later, believe me.

Between your <head> and </head>. Like so:

<html>[b]<head>[/b][color="red"]<style type="text/css">a {  color: blue;  background: red;  display:block;  height: 100%;  width: 100%;}a:hover {		  color: red;  background: blue;  display:block;  height: 100%;  width: 100%;}</style>[/color][b]</head>[/b]<body></body></html>

Thanks very much, I'll update my post on my first template now.Here it is on this post:

<head><style type="text/css"> A{text-decoration:none}a {			display:block;height: 100%;width: 100%;}a:hover {		color: #DDDDDD;background: #808080;display:block;height: 100%;width: 100%;</style><script type="text/javascript">function mouseOver(){"td.Link1"}function mouseOut(){td td.link1 bgcolor="#00FF00"}</script><table width="100%" height="25%" align="center" bgcolor="#222222"><tr><td><p> Picture/banner/title goes here</p><! pic/title here></tr></head><body text="#656565" bgcolor="#000000" link="#777777" vlink="#999999" alink="808080"> <table border="0" width="60%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD" valign="top" align="center"> <! LINKS GO BELOW> <tr> <td align="center" class="Link1"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link1</a></td></td> <td align="center" class="link2"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link2</a></td> <td align="center" class="link3"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link3</a></td> <td align="center" class="link4"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link4</a></td> <td align="center" class="link5"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link5</a></td> <td align="center" class="link6"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link6</a></td> <! More can be added (copy+paste and change class) > </tr> </table><br>   <table height="20%" width="65%" bgcolor="#232323" align="center">   <td><p>Advertisement here</p></td>   </table><br>	<table height="120%" width="80%" bgcolor="010101" border="1" align="center">	<tr> <! Main Info >	<td width="15%" align="left" valign="top" height="60%">	<p> left side</p>	</td>	<td width="50%">	<p>Main area</p>	</td>	<td width="15%" align="right" valign="top" height="60%">	<p>Right side</p>	</td>	</tr>	<tr>	<td width="15%" align="left" valign="bottom" height="60%">	<p> bottem left</p>	</td>	<td width="15%" align="right" valign="bottom" height="60%">	<p> bottem right</p>	</td>

This should help you with your CSS on the page abit

<html><head>	<title>Your Webpage Name Here</title></head><style type="text/css">body {	color: #656565;	background-color: #000000;}a {	color:#777777;	text-decoration:none;}a:link {	color: #999999;}a:visited {	color: #000000;}a:hover {	color: #DDDDDD;	background: #808080;	display:block;}a:active {	color: #808080;}table.type1 {	background-color:#232323;	width:95%;}table.menu {	background-color:#DDDDDD;	width:80%;}</style><body><div align="center"><table class="type1">	<tr align="center">		<td>Picture/banner/title goes here</td>	</tr></table><table class="menu">	<tr align="center">		<td><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link1</a></td>		<td><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link2</a></td>		<td><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link3</a></td>		<td><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link4</a></td>		<td><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link5</a></td>		<td><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link6</a></td>	</tr></table><br><table class="type1">	<tr align="center">		<td>Advertisement here</td>	</tr></table><br><table class="type1">	<tr>		<td align="left" valign="top" width="15%">Left Side</td>		<td rowspan="2" align="center">Main Area</td>		<td align="right" valign="top" width="15%">Right side</td>	</tr>	<tr>		<td align="left" valign="bottom">Bottom Left</td>		<td align="right" valign="bottom">Bottom Right</td>	</tr></table></div></html>