Html exam!

kingsend84

If i was to do the html exam off w3schools site would it be any good, I mean doing it over the internet would it help in getting a job.I know you have to get someone to watch you take the test but for all anyone knows they could be a friend, I just want to know if its worth the cash.

It could be... it really depends on whoever is going to hire you. If they care about certificates, having one or more (W3Schools included), this will boost you very high. It may boost you anyway, but a real carrer boost is to simply have a great portfolio. Do some sites for free for friends, family or on REALLY low prices for small time clients with no quality guarantee (as I once did) in order to build a portfolio. At that point, if what you did was good you'll get customers. Higher customers-> better portfolio-> higher jobs -> etc.

• 3 months later...

I've just paid for the exam. Has anyone taken it/ used it for jobs etc. Also does anyone know how long it takes for the information to come through?

The only reason you would need something like this is if you don't have a degree or a decent level of experience. If you can show education and experience, then you don't need certifications. If you can't prove to someone that you have an education or that you have experience, then it would help to show that you can pass the certifications.

The only reason you would need something like this is if you don't have a degree or a decent level of experience. If you can show education and experience, then you don't need certifications. If you can't prove to someone that you have an education or that you have experience, then it would help to show that you can pass the certifications.
What about dishonesty? Isn't that any other reason for a certificate? It serves as a layer, that I have completed my education to get this in return to seek a career. :)

Hmm, not so much along those lines. More of a showing to perhaps someone you know? Heh, the fact that we all live in a materialistic world, obsessions with things.:)

perhaps that may matter to asome clients but like I said I have not had a client in 7 years that cared or asked about degrees or certifications, they only cared about samples of past work.Employers care about certifications but experience is considered justs as good if not better anyways. And when an employer wants certification it needs to be from a widely recognized instituation like a college or university not a small tutorial site.

If it helps, I worked for a small software company (10-15 people) for about 4 years. They were generally quite stingy when it came to training, but they were happy to pay the £30 each (or so) for the two w3schools exams ('So, its £30, not £1500 for that one you were talking about the other day? Yeah sure, go for it!' - :) ), and they are now sat quite happily on my CV - certainly didnt do me any harm as I got 2/2 interviews from my CV, and start my Web Developer job for a large insurance company on Monday! :)Dont get me wrong, the IT Masters conversion degree *may* have helped, but it certainly doesnt hurt to have a few certificates going for you, imho. :)