How Adjust Left Indent of Bulleted List in a Table

SteveMurphy

Hi.I have a table that contains a list in one of its cells. However, I need to indent the entire list so that it lines up with some text that preceeds the list, but I don't know how to indent the list. Following is the html for my table:

<html>	 <body>	  <TABLE BORDER="1" WIDTH="100%" CELLPADDING="3" CELLSPACING="0" SUMMARY="">		   <TR>				<TD ALIGN="right" VALIGN="top" WIDTH="1%"><FONT SIZE="-1">				<CODE>private  java.lang.String</CODE></FONT></TD>				<TD><CODE><B>schoolName</B></CODE>				<BR/>nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;Name of educational institution the student attends.				</BR>				<ul>				   <li>Harvard</li>				   <li>Princeton</li>				   <li>Iowa State</li>				</ul>				</TD>		   </TR>		   <TR>				<TD ALIGN="right" VALIGN="top" WIDTH="1%"><FONT SIZE="-1">				<CODE>private  java.lang.String</CODE></FONT></TD>				<TD><CODE><B>studentId</B></CODE>				<BR/>nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;The student's identification number.</TD>		   </TR>	  </TABLE> </body> </html>

In this examle, I need to have the bullets of the list line up with the word "Name" in "Name of educational institution the student attends." I am constrainted to keeping the non-breaking spaces that preceed the "Name of educational..." sentence.Note that for my sample above, I had to remove the & from nbsp; otherwise your browswer converts the non-breaking spaces to white space an you can't see the & npbs;Can anyone help?Thanks.

Add a style section to the head and change the margin until it lines up as you want.

<html>  <head>	<style type="text/css">	  ul li {		margin-left: -10px;	  }	</style>  </head>  <body>

Change the margin there until it lines up like you want. Try different positive and negative values until you get it.

Thanks justsomeguy and jhaslip.I tried the technique of adding the style to the <head> element and it worked fine. However, (I know this sounds strange) I don't own the html file as a whole, I'm just inserting tables. This is part of the javadoc process where you add comments/html to Java source files and the Javadoc processor spits out any html you've added into an html file that it creates. There are hundreds of html files produced by the Javadoc process and (although it could be done) it would be difficult to add the style to the <head> element. The Javadoc output references css stylesheets, so I can add the style to those and make this work. Ideally, for the sake of simplicity, I'd like to control the left margin in the list itself.That said, do the <ul> or <li> elements have any attribute that would allow me to contol the left margin?jhaslip -- how do I go about removing padding from the lists?Thanks again for your posts!

I don't know why you guys use -10px, to me it seems simple. Remove padding and margin and then add whatever. In some designs padding may be more useful than margin and vice versa but if it's a simple list with no really complicated navigation stuff then just remove padding and margin and add something like padding-left: 5px; or margin-left: 5px; .