Perl & PHP??

zaniac

Sorry was not sure whether to put this in the PHP forum or not.I'm a novice at scripts, never touched them or read about the subject. Perl and PHP scripts can these both perform the same tasks? Before I commit to learning anything, I want to try to find out the possibilities of each language. Any help is greatly appreciated. Until I know more I will just keep playing with CSS and XHTML :)

Sorry was not sure whether to put this in the PHP forum or not.I'm a novice at scripts, never touched them or read about the subject. Perl and PHP scripts can these both perform the same tasks? Before I commit to learning anything, I want to try to find out the possibilities of each language. Any help is greatly appreciated. Until I know more I will just keep playing with CSS and XHTML :)
I say learn PHP it can do alot! and there is lots of information about it.the people on the PHP forums here are GREAT they are always willing to help!

I guess it depends really on what your host has, and what you're interested in learning. There's probably some good things about both that would make them better/different. Personally, I find PHP to be much easier to create and modify. I don't have very much Perl experience, so I can't really judge. Most of the really skilled developers I know prefer PHP over Perl. Since they're two different languages, there may be some similar syntax, like I know that both PHP and Perl have the print function that lets you write data on the page. But most of the functions will probably be different. You'll have the things found in pretty much every programming language, like if...else statements, array's, variables etc. I think if you don't have any or much experience with Server Side languages, then PHP is probably your best bet. Entirely up to you of course. :)

Hey guys, thanks for your replies it's greatly appreciated :) I think I will aim at looking to learn PHP, as I've found out my host supports this. I will start in a few weeks, but for now just finish practicing CSS. I don't know why but I feel really excited about learning scripts, more than what I did when learning CSS and XHTML, haha :)

Perl yeah...haven't tried it really, I don't understand a thing of it so if you start learning that I cannot help you just so I have said it :)Good choise btw. PHP I mean...hehe

Perl yeah...haven't tried it really, I don't understand a thing of it so if you start learning that I cannot help you just so I have said it :) Good choise btw. PHP I mean...hehe
PERL was hte first language I learned. It is a pretty powerful and stable language. I don't think it was originally developed for web programming, although it has adapted fine, like PHP. In comparision I find PHP much nicer, easier to use and for the most part faster.

Archived