Text

Html

Font  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which text font?

• Verdana
    • Arial

What about Times? That's one of the most popular fonts on the web... well... at least for Cyrilic anyway, as it makes the letters look much like how they looked when they were created (or should I say "modified from the original Glagolhic alphabet").I answered Arial anyway, as that's what I normally use. It makes all letters look a little more "machine" like, which is good for all screens in all alphabets.

Personaly, I dislike times, and I consider Arial to be the clearest font, it is also my favourite!One Question through, how do you pronouce arial, because I have had people saying "air-re-al", while I pronounce it "ah-re-al".

I've always said it "air-re-al". Wikipedia has an article, but no pronunciation, so the only model I can find is Ariel.In Wikipedia's ariticle, Arial is called "neo-grotesque"... Really, I don't think it's detailed enough to be called (neo-)grotesque, yet find it amusing that they couldn't even give it full "grotesque" status - they limited it even in their insult. :)As you can probably tell by now, I don't like Arial; I think it's plain and boring (i.e., sans-serif). (Verdana isn't much better.) At least it's clearer than, say, Courier New, which can't tell an l (lowercase L) from a 1 (one) or an O (uppercase o) from a 0 (zero), but I prefer Times New Roman, which enunciates all its letters (l1 - O0) with typographic grace.

Lucida Console? I love this font. It makes it much easier to read text and code. I can easily make out I and l where as in Times font, they are easily mistaken. But choosing form the two choices, I would guess Arial.

Apparently san-serif fonts are easier to read on-screen (I got this question wrong on my IT exam :) ) - I use Verdana, at 10pt (13px).

Are you people talking about fonts to be used on a web page? And why is the subtitle "size"? It seems that most CSS sheets use something like this:font-family: Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;The Calibri font for Vista is better then the previous MS web fonts, I make sure to include Calibri first in my own stylesheets. For my own text editor I use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.

I use Verdana, at 10pt (13px)
Points and pixels aren't directly related. 10pt is only equal to 13px on one monitor resolution. Points, inches, cm etc are the same size across resolutions and obviously pixels scale with the resolution. If I remember correctly 72 points = 1 inch. The number of pixels in one inch depends on the monitor resolution.

Archived