Validation

k3n3t1k

I was wondering if anybody knows about a javascript code that will make sure that an HTML form is filled out and mae sure that the Email is an actual email and not just a bunch of tect, you know it needs the @ and the .If anybosy can help that would be great, thanks!k3n3t1k

I have this function to validate Emails:Put this in the <head> of the document:

function formValidate(aform,mail) {   formSubmit = 1;   atPosition = document.getElementById(mail).value.indexOf('@');   dotPosition = document.getElementById(mail).value.lastIndexOf('.');   dist = document.getElementById(mail).value.length;   domain = document.getElementById(mail).value.substr(dist-3,3);   if(document.getElementById(mail).value == "") {      formSubmit = 0;      alert("You must provide an E-mail address");   } else if (!dotPosition || !atPosition || atPosition < 1 || dotPosition < (atPosition + 3) || (dotPosition != (dist-4) && dotPosition != (dist-3)) || document.getElementById(mail).value.indexOf(" ") > -1 || parseInt(domain) >= 0 || parseInt(domain) < 0) {      formSubmit = 0;      alert("Invalid email address");   }   if (formSubmit == 1) {      document.getElementById(aform).submit();   }}

The HTML form must be like this:______________________________________<form action="mail.php" method="post" id="myForm">...<input type="text" id="email" />......<!-- Instead of <input type="submit" /> put the following: --><input type="button" value="send" onchange="formValidate('myForm','email')" /></form>______________________________________

Thanks, that will help alot, but i was still wondering if there was some code to validate whether or not the form has been completely filled out?

You must give each form element an ID and then add a line of code for each of them. Then you add that to the function I gave you previously.For example, here if the form and the javascript for each element:...<input type="text" id="element1" /><input type="text" id="element2" /><input type="text" id="element3" /><textarea id="element4" cols="30" rows="4"></textarea>...isIncomplete = false;if(document.getElementById("element1").value.length == 0) formSubmit = 0; isIncomplete = true;if(document.getElementById("element2").value.length == 0) formSubmit = 0; isIncomplete = true;if(document.getElementById("element3").value.length == 0) formSubmit = 0; isIncomplete = true;if(document.getElementById("element4").value.length == 0) formSubmit = 0; isIncomplete = true;if(isIncomplete) alert("You have not filled all the required form fields.");

function formValidate(aform,mail) {formSubmit = 1;/******** New part ********/isIncomplete = false;if(document.getElementById("element1").value.length == 0) formSubmit = 0; isIncomplete = true;if(document.getElementById("element2").value.length == 0) formSubmit = 0; isIncomplete = true;if(document.getElementById("element3").value.length == 0) formSubmit = 0; isIncomplete = true;if(document.getElementById("element4").value.length == 0) formSubmit = 0; isIncomplete = true;if(isIncomplete) alert("You have not filled all the required form fields.");/************************/atPosition = document.getElementById(mail).value.indexOf('@');dotPosition = document.getElementById(mail).value.lastIndexOf('.');dist = document.getElementById(mail).value.length;domain = document.getElementById(mail).value.substr(dist-3,3);if(document.getElementById(mail).value == "") {formSubmit = 0;alert("You must provide an E-mail address");} else if (!dotPosition || !atPosition || atPosition < 1 || dotPosition < (atPosition + 3) || (dotPosition != (dist-4) && dotPosition != (dist-3)) || document.getElementById(mail).value.indexOf(" ") > -1 || parseInt(domain) >= 0 || parseInt(domain) < 0) {formSubmit = 0;alert("Invalid email address");}if (formSubmit == 1) {document.getElementById(aform).submit();}}

It would be better to use a regular expression to check the format instead of checking for the positions of the characters. That function will say this is a valid address:[]@.......abcTry this one:

function check_email(src) {  var regex = /^[a-zA-Z0-9._-]+@([a-zA-Z0-9.-]+\.)+[a-zA-Z0-9.-]{2,4}$/;  return regex.test(src);}

if (!check_email(document.getElementById("email").value)) ....

It would be better to use a regular expression to check the format instead of checking for the positions of the characters. That function will say this is a valid address:[]@.......abcTry this one:
function check_email(src) {  var regex = /^[a-zA-Z0-9._-]+@([a-zA-Z0-9.-]+\.)+[a-zA-Z0-9.-]{2,4}$/;  return regex.test(src);}

if (!check_email(document.getElementById("email").value)) ....

You're right, but I never studied Regular Expressions. I should do that. The RegExp part of the Javascript reference on W3Schools is actually pretty new, I had never seen it before and I check it often. I glanced at it a week or two but never started learning it because I haven't had much time.

Archived