IE error on page

Elemental

Hello Folks, I was playing around, what I call learning, with the tooltip js from www.walterzorn.com. I'm using a very simple tooltip, it's actually an example reply from justsomeguy to a post, but I keep getting the IE error message:Line: 2Char: 1Error: Invalid characterCode: 0And I can't find what the error is; granted it could be right in my face but if it is I don't know what it is, so...Here's the html and js I'm using, the js code is linked to the tooltip documents.

[quote]<!--DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"--><html><head><title>ToolTip</title><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><script type="text/javascript"></script></head><body><script type="text/javascript" src="ToolTip_Pop-Up/wz_tooltip.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="ToolTip_Pop-Up/tip_balloon.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="ToolTip_Pop-Up/tip_drag.js"></script><a href="java script:void(0);" onmouseover="Tip('Some Text');" onmouseout="UnTip();">Homepage</a></body></html>[/quote]

Peace,Elemental

Without looking at your js files I can't really help you much. Please post your js files. And for longer bits of code, please use "codebox" instead of "code". Yours is fine, but I'm just letting you know ahead of time.

Why do you have an empty script element here? <script type="text/javascript"></script>Oh, and your DOCTYPE is written wrong, aside from that, I highly recommend HTML Strict, not transitional.<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

There's a link in my signature to download DebugBar for IE, that should give you some Javascript errors that would actually be helpful. The normal IE error messages use sunspot cycles and the Maya calendar to generate line and character numbers.

Thanks guys, I'm not quite sure what to make of the "sunspot cycles and the Maya calendar" I'll have to look that up in my Astrotechnology for Dummies Guide Book.Peace,Elemental

I was mistaken, it doesn't use sunspot cycles and the Maya calendar. It actually uses gamma ray bursts, lottery numbers, and the average testosterone levels of Vancouver males ages 14-18 to calculate the line numbers that it shows in error messages. The only question is how it gets access to that information, must be one of those web2.0 things.

justsomeguy, Don't take this the wrong way but, you inspire me.Your creative, passionate and unattached "description" of IE is, how can I put it, pure love. It's obvious, to me, that years of careful examination of the subject have given you an undying affection for the same.ROCK ONPeace,Elemental

Archived