Making a Website

Xalor

Well, this is just a thread to discuss about plans for your future website.I'm planning on making a website for my private use, or add my essays, schoolwork and resumes for college applications. Adding photos, blogging and those things.There are many free website-makers like synthasite or freewebs, the top leaders. In my opinion, its not worth even using those except to get ideas from the source. Its best to learn from the basics, even if you know nothing. Blogging is worse, because the bandwith is so little, and even when you pay its still slow. Its best to design your own, host it either from your computer or get a host thats cheap or free like x10hosting, and then just url foward from domains4free or use .tk or .co.nr or co.cc . What are your ideas on websites, and your opinions on website-makers like FreeWebs?

I wouldn't suggest hosting from your computer, unless you talk about it with your ISP first. Most of them don't like it, and some even block port 80.A .com domain is only ~$7 a year, so there is no problem getting on of those. The problem with the "free" domains is that you don't actually get the DNS records pointing to your site, you just get a redirect.I wouldn't suggest even looking at the source of a "website builder's" website, as it is generally not that good... it is best to just do it from scratch.Who said blogging was bad? :)

What are your ideas on websites, and your opinions on website-makers like FreeWebs?
I can't say I share many of the suggestions you submit here.For anyone reading, before you take any advice from anyone, you need to determine if the site is for personal or professional use. I'm not going to comment on personal sites - use whatever you want (free or not). But, please, if you intend to launch a professional site (yes, that would include a site of your own that attempts to market your skills and abilities) you will do yourself no favors by using anything that is free. Unless you are the IT person at a business that hosts its own site and you have made an arrangement (or decided to foolishly risk letting anyone know) to host your site through their web and dns servers, don't bother launching your site.I will admit to sounding off a little here and I am not just picking on you Xalor, but I have to say that I grow more weiry of people who think free solutions are the way to get started and are the solutions to their projects. I will also admit to having higher expectations, which is why I rarely post my feedback in the critique forum.Please, to all, take the time to learn the ramifications to any decision you make regarding any website you build. If you want t use free domain hosting, fine, just understand what levels of controls you have and don't have - understand what that says to the end user, etc.I acknowledge that there is a lot to learn, so don't be afraid to ask questions, but be very afraid of the word "free" - especially when it deals with anything online.

...Who said blogging was bad? :)
I think he was referring to how people launch a blog application and then call it their website. Its a technique used quite often that I would have agree is one of the most annoying things to me.

Skemcin, its not that its totally free. I really don't think a website for personal use should cost money, I personally don't trust website that give out cheaper domains, and use secured payment as in mailed money or check. I hate using credit cards online because of all fraud and identity theft. For the younger people, my age the "teens" or even young adults with little income should look for the free offers, and start there. Its best to start from scratch, and think anyone would agree with me.

If you are under the age of 18 you have no reason trying to promote yourself online without your parents knowledge. If you want a web site, then do it right and involve your parents. Online fraud is indeed something to be concerned about, but if you do your research you will learn how to do things safely online - and you will learn which credit cards offer online protection. In fact, free services can often be more of a threat - they are free because they sell your information to spam lists, etc. If you've got nothing to hide, then there is no reason your parents can't be involved in your interests. They can help you in ways you'd never imagine. Go to http://www.isafe.org and ask your parents to go there to. Show some initiative, impress your parents. Let them know what you want to do so they can be sure you are doing it correctly and safely. If it costs money, then I'm sure you can figure out a way to convince them you are worth it - just let them know that you could always start hanging out with "those" kids at the playground after dark.

When your using a website for private hobbies and other things, that aren't making money, spending money is pointless, its not like even a videogame where you are forced to buy games because there are no free possibilites. You have to think about your own parents. Even if they know about your activities, its not something you would spend money on when there are ways to get free websites.

I see your points, but understand mine. First, there are free games (worth playing) that you can download online - Enemy Territory and American Army to name a couple more notable ones. Second, you are making assumptions about what your parent will or will not do. Go to them and present two options:

• free with my personal information likely sold/distributed and site littered with someone else's advertising
  • pay $2 to $5 a month and get quality hosting with no chance of information being shared (if set up correctly) and have the opportunity to have it pay for itself by placing my own google ads on the site.

If you're parents have any clue, they will take the opportunity to figure out the best solutions for you.Thirdly, the underlying point that I hope you see is that this foresightedness communicates to your parents that you can be responsible. It gives you the opportunity to teach them something they might not know or at least provoke them to understand more about what you are doing. Since you are doing nothing wrong (assumption on my part) then there should be no reason you would feel uncomfortable doing this.The simple fact is, you're a kid - and there is nothing wrong at all with that. But as an adult, a parent, and an employee of one of the largest children's health organization in the world I'm not making this stuff up. You're obviously free to make you own decisions in this matter and I can't (nor want to) control that. I just hope you have the maturity at least look at it from a different perspective. The choice is still yours, but just think about it. Hopefully some of the other younger members read this and give it some thought as well.

Archived