Firefox: The New IE

Guest firefoxfan

Guest firefoxfan
Change the world. Get Firefox.Firefox is better than Internet Explorer. It includes Adblocking, Pop up blocking, Several Search Engines (Google, Wikipedia, Yahoo, Amazon, Answers, Creative Commons, Food Network, and Ebay and more to add), and it is so much more secure. And everyone's favorite part of Firefox is add-ons. Right now I have sticky notes that stay on a web page so I can take notes on things. Everyone should have this and spread it around so the internet is ours once again. If we use Firefox it becomes better and better. So help the world, help yourself, and help Mozilla.

I use FF for most of my browsing, but I've noticed that if I leave it up and switch users on XP, it has a tendency to become somewhat unstable once I log back into my account. But I still use it probably 90% of the time. Although I am curious as to how the new and improved IE 7 will be once it's released.

I use FF for most of my browsing, but I've noticed that if I leave it up and switch users on XP, it has a tendency to become somewhat unstable once I log back into my account.  But I still use it probably 90% of the time.  Although I am curious as to how the new and improved IE 7 will be once it's released.

"new and improved" to Microsoft is basically GUI-related. They forgot to fix all those bugs and insecurities... they have a new logo though!http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/08/12/451099.aspxthat aside, this seems like (gasp) spam advertising for firefox, and that's oxy-moronic. real web developers understand various browsers, and your first post here shouldn't be an attempt to pursuade anyone about anything.

For a first post - although I LOVE firefox - this is inappropriate. But going with the flow of the conversation, IE7 doesn't solve anything. It still is the core programming. I've used IE7 BETA and I'm just not impressed. It is a total catch up job. IE7 is to IE6 as Windows ME is to Windows 98. Newer is not better.My beef with it is the fact that still each new execution of the browser still has no means to communicate with any other window open. I know its got tabs, but people, even with tabs, still open multiple windows from time to time. IE7 is still the ONLY browser that cannot carry a users session from one browser instance to the other without using cookies.

as long as it is more CSS compliant then I'll be a happy. Its never going to be my primary browser again, but I just don't want to have to write all sorts of CSS hacks to accommodate it like I do now.

@smiles: If you're asking why they render things differantly, it's because Firefox uses the Gecko rendering engine, the same that Netscape and the Mozilla suite use :). IE uses it's own engine, made by Microsoft & Co. Opera, along the same lines, uses it's own rendering engine that they've made themselves. It's the rendering engines that make the browser, not just the UI (user interface). It's the engine that has the CSS bugs and such.So when someone complains about the "new" IE 7, they're most likely complaining that it will have many UI improvments, but little to no improvements to the rendering engine that would fix any of the multiple notorious CSS bugs that IE currently has.I think I summed that up well, but can anyone else add anything?

it is the core of the browser...it is what reads the HTML,CSS, and JavaScript you write and then 'renders' it into a webpage the user can view.

people here get many troubles with IE and FF , sometimes like mess , maybe it 's time to do something better for these kind of questions ... but I don't know what something is :)

Please use this thread for browser discussion from now on. You can, of course, continue this discussion there. We just don't want the thread to start with shameless advertising. Thank you. :)