Messaging Out Of Control?

jeffman

Is it just me, or is anyone else suddenly getting bombarded with PMs from people awaiting their validation?Not you, jl. :)It's driving me nuts! AAAAAARRRRRRGGHH!!!!Any chance PMs could be disabled for the validating group? (Sorry if this is an old issue.)

Yeah, I got some too. I used to be bothered with those, but now not that much. Infact, I actually answered two out of the three latest ones... or was it to all... I guess it depends on what sort of answers you call "valid" and/or "helpful"... does something like "Go read the tutorials!!!" count?

My reply usually says something along the lines of "The Forum is a sharing environment. Post the question on the Boards so everyone can see the answer and you will get better responses from people smarter than me."

That's the thing. I keep getting hit by people who are waiting to validate. They're not allowed to post yet. They want their problem solved now, not two days from now.It's not a big deal. Just distracting.Mostly I wondered if there was an epidemic, or if it was just my turn.

Mostly I wondered if there was an epidemic, or if it was just my turn.
Unfortunatly (or not... depending on the viewpoint I guess), it's the former - epidemic of a sort.

Just do what I do, keep your PM box full. I delete a few at a time so that I can't get hit by a bunch. I think I have 46/50 now in the box, so I've got a couple free spots if someone needs to ask me something, but I won't get more than 4.

When you join the board, a message gets sent to the mods, and they check you out -- somehow. So there's a waiting period between joining and being able to post. Probably to keep out spammers and other non-serious members. But during this period, people waiting to be validated CAN make PMs. So I'm getting messages like, "Deirdre's Dad, plz plz plz plz won't you help me, I'm desperate," followed by 4 screens of code.It's not a biggie, just annoying.

Archived