Xampp

user4fun

I gave up after a week of filtering through installation manual and I used Xampp for a total package. Then i wasted a few days reading through articles for this port to open, this port to close, IIS uninstalled, Apache etc etc etc.Anyways,IT IS DONE. IT WORKS I AM HAPPY.1- My question is now what? I never used this before. Where can I start creating pages and code for it to do things.2- When it is all said and done, how does it all gets published and keeps the intergrity of the selected domain name? as far as pages linking together, etc.Thank you

I gave up after a week of filtering through installation manual and I used Xampp for a total package. Then i wasted a few days reading through articles for this port to open, this port to close, IIS uninstalled, Apache etc etc etc.Anyways,IT IS DONE. IT WORKS I AM HAPPY.1- My question is now what? I never used this before. Where can I start creating pages and code for it to do things.2- When it is all said and done, how does it all gets published and keeps the intergrity of the selected domain name? as far as pages linking together, etc.Thank you
You will have a www directory where you will put all your pages to your homepage.. to view your html, php pages in your web browser don't wirte C:\xampp\www\index.php it should be http://localhost/index.phpIf you don't use localhost your php files will not be exicuted.to get your page published you have some ways to do what, like host it your self or pay for others to host it for you.domain name can you get for free form www.no-ip.com but what will not give you a www.yourpage.com it will be yourpage.no-ip.comhope this helps

so when I am creating link between pages in the codeshould it be www.mydomain.com/etc/etc/etcORlocahost/etc/etc/etcI jsut dont want to make a stupid mistake and nothing work when it gets published. I intend on hosting it with a web hosting company. Probably yahoo web hosting.

so when I am creating link between pages in the codeshould it be www.mydomain.com/etc/etc/etcORlocahost/etc/etc/etcI jsut dont want to make a stupid mistake and nothing work when it gets published. I intend on hosting it with a web hosting company. Probably yahoo web hosting.
If you are meaning making a <a href=""></a> link then it works like this.your www directory is your root directory.so if you have two files in your www folder like index.php and contact.php and wish to have a link between them you don't need to wirte your code like this
<a href="http://localhost/contact.php">Contact</a>

This will be the same

<a herf="contact.php">Contact</a>

say you have index.php in your www folder and you have sub folder called contact and contact.php in this folder the code will look like this.

<a href="contact/contact.php">Contact</a>

Now say you want to have a link from your contact.php that is in your sub folder to your index.php you can't write this.

<a href="index.php">Home</a>

The code has to look like this

<a href="/index.php">home</a>

Hope this helps

Awesome, so why would people put "../index.php "instaed of this "/index.php" sometimes.
Then doing this in php I think you need a dot first I'm not sure but I had a dot then I wrote a php code selecting the root folder.

Awesome, so why would people put "../index.php "instaed of this "/index.php" sometimes.
References with "./" means "this folder", so the file being referenced would be in the same folder as the calling script.

References with "./" means "this folder", so the file being referenced would be in the same folder as the calling script.
... and using "../" means "in the folder above this one.So for example if in
example.com/subdir/file.html

you have a link to

anotherFile.html

you'll address

example.com/subdir/anotherFile.html

(basically, the same as "./")and if you have a link to

../anotherFolder/anotherFile.html

you'll instead address

example.com/anotherFolder/anotherFile.html

and if you haven't guessed already by that,

../anotherFile.html

would address

example.com/anotherFile.html

"/" always addresses relative to your document root, i.e. your domain name or IP address, so

/anotherFile.html

will always address

example.com/anotherFile.html

regardless of the location of the file that has this address.Note that "example.com" can mean any domain name or IP address. "localhost" is a domain name as well. "127.0.0.1" is also a way.

• 2 months later...

how do i go about hosting my php/mysql site? I am using xampp, so ive been using phpmyadmin to create the database. my pw and username is set to default so "root" and blank for the pw.correct me if im wrong...do i export my mysql db into a .sql file, and then execute that sql file in phpmyadmin in the cpanel of whatever web hosting company im using? then i change my php files to use whatever username and pw they gave me?

Yes. In ohpmyadmin, select the database from the list on the left, choose "Import" from the tabs. Cut and paste the exported SQL file into the textarea. Go. Done.

Yes. In ohpmyadmin, select the database from the list on the left, choose "Import" from the tabs. Cut and paste the exported SQL file into the textarea. Go. Done.
how do i know what my username and pw are for phpmyadmin on the server? is it given to me? or do i need to create those?

Archived