W3c Markup Validation Question

thesoundsmith

Hi. I'm not siure if this is the place to post this question, but it should be simple. I have checked my pages with W3C, everything is cool. So I added the XHTML 1.0 marker with checkup link, but when I try to use it, it gives me a "No Referer Header Found" (I'd have spelled this Referrer, but...)

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer

is the address from their page, must I replace the "referer" with my url? They say it's a browser issue, not code, but I'd sure like to be able to just click to test. The footer where this link resides is a php include, so I change just one file, if I have to add the page address individually, it's not worth doing.The pages are at My siteAny ideas? Thanks.

You can put your site URL there, but referer should work.The referer part will only work if you click on a link with that URL, just typing it in the browser won't work.But possibly your browser isn't sending the referer header. Try another browser and see if it works. What browser are you using, and are you connected through a proxy?

You can put your site URL there, but referer should work.The referer part will only work if you click on a link with that URL, just typing it in the browser won't work.But possibly your browser isn't sending the referer header. Try another browser and see if it works. What browser are you using, and are you connected through a proxy?
Thanks for the reply. I work on an XP box, use Firefox, latest version (auto updated) but I tried IE7, same result. I am on a local network with a Linksys router, no proxy. Its firewall is on, but none of the configuration options seem to refer to the outgoing info. Block WAN Requests is on, but this prevents being pinged from outside. Is this part of the process/problem, and if so, how can I override it?

For the validator to work on a copy of the file from your loacl machine, you need to cut and paste the code into the textarea found on the alternate selection tab on their page.The 'referrer' will not find a locally stored file. That is for files that are web-linkable. But it will work once you upload the site to your Hosting Server.

For the validator to work on a copy of the file from your loacl machine, you need to cut and paste the code into the textarea found on the alternate selection tab on their page.The 'referrer' will not find a locally stored file. That is for files that are web-linkable. But it will work once you upload the site to your Hosting Server.
I'm only trying to connect from the files on the website, not the local machine. The error message says t's my browser or firewall. I don't see any options on the firewall that are interfering, so I would guess browser issues (except both FF and IE do the same thing...) I don't have any addons for IE (v7) but several in FF.

Link?
I had links on all pages on the site, but now I've pulled them except the index page at The Soundsmith. I have added the checker to FF and it doesn't matter as much now, but i still would like it to work.

Archived