Simple Css Help Needed For Table Setup . . .

CSSisyphus

Good day.I'm wrestling a quirk with the latest FF; and just need a wee bit of assistance to "get over the hump."I'm having a spot of trouble getting FF 3+ to recognize the conventional HTML <table width="100%"> and <td width="N%"> tag specs, and was wondering if there was a standard, straightforward CSS solution which would be recoginzed by FF 2+ and IE 6+.For the record, all works well for FF 2.x and IE with the conventional markup. I knew that I was in trouble here when giving the <td> element a class tag and calling it out in the stylesheet (td.classname) wouldn't allow me to set attributes for the element.Any help is appreciated.Thank you.

@dsonesuk:Thanks for helping out here.Here's the table setup which is giving me grief:

<table width="100%" CELLSPACING="5" CELLPADDING="15" BORDER="0"><tr><td valign=top width=10%><H2>News</H2><br>some content</td><td valign=top width=80%><div id="AJAXtext" align="justify"></div></td><td valign=top width=10%><H2>Other</H2><br>some content</td></tr></table>

"AJAXtext" is the center table data div to which is fed changing text content via an external AJAX script.In FF 2.x and IE 6 the "AJAXtext" td region remains stable between these dynamic updates. In FF 3+ the "AJAXtext" td region temporarily collapses widthwise during transition from one text content change to the next; dragging the rightside td along with it...No (working) CSS is currently provided in/for this table.Any ideas?Thanks again.

sorry have not got FF2.x to test, but there should not be a problem.<html><head><title>Untitled Document</title><script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*//*---->*//*--*//*]]>*/</script> <style type="text/css">.table1 { width: 100%; border: 0px solid #000;}.table1 td { border: 0px solid #000; vertical-align:top;}.table1 td.left, .table1 td.right{width: 10%; border: 0px solid #000;}.table1 td.middle {width: 80%;} #AJAXtext {text-align:justify;}</style></head><body><table class="table1" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="15"><tr><td class="left"><h2>News</h2><br />some content</td><td class="middle"><div id="AJAXtext"> </div></td><td class="right"><h2>Other</h2><br />some content</td></tr></table></body></html>

@Ingolme:Thanks for the tip. Tried that; no soap . . .@dsonesuk:Thanks for the codeblock. I'll give it a whirl and report back.BTW -- what is

<script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*//*---->*//*--*//*]]>*/</script>

????Thanks again . . .

@dsonesuk:Thanks for the JS/CDATA link :)Just took your CSS and modified HTML over to my "crash test dummy" for a spin.Results are the same as with the original markup: The middle section still collapses on FF 3+.This is all well-formed code: What's happening here???Thanks again --

@Ingolme:I don't think that clearing before load is the problem; as this issue is in evidence from fresh loadup BEFORE any other content has found its way into the div; and even if the ajax feed is completely disabled...Thanks again :)@dsonesuk:The neat code example (unadapted) which you've posted here does indeed seem to work properly in the offending browser. Hmmmm...I'm working on this problem between two systems right now -- I'll try to dig out the worm and get back as soon as I know something.:)

@dsonesuk:I've isolated the problem --Here's the code which doesn't work in FF 3+:

<html><head><title>Untitled Document</title><script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*//*---->*//*--*//*]]>*/</script><style type="text/css">.table1 { width: 100%; border: 0px solid #000;}.table1 td { border: 0px solid #000; vertical-align:top;}.table1 td.left, .table1 td.right{width: 10%; border: 0px solid #000;}.table1 td.middle {width: 80%;}#AJAXtext {text-align:justify;}#wrapper {	position: absolute;}</style></head><body><div id="wrapper"><table class="table1" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="15"><tr><td class="left"><h2>News</h2><br />some content</td><td class="middle"><div id="AJAXtext"> </div></td><td class="right"><h2>Other</h2><br />some content</td></tr></table></div></body></html>

Now, the question is why does my call to "position: absolute;" for the wrapper div break your page's table in FF 3+ and nowhere else :) Thanks again for all of your help :)

@dsonesuk:Thanks again.min-width still allows the problem to exist:

min-width: 780px;

???Position: relative helps FF3+; but now

min-width: 780px;

is not honored by IE!Aaaaaaah!!!(I seem to remember a biblical story about this type of confusion) :) Thanks again for going 'round with me here . . .

try using width: 98%; (absolute) for #wrapper as 100% expands it to far for FF,O,Chrome, and you get scrollbar at bottom.use below for IE (note not checked in IE8) BELOW css styling.<!--[if IE]><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="resources/css/ie7.css" /><style type="text/css">#wrapper { width: 100%;}</style><![endif]-->tried in FF3.0.12, IE6 & 7, Chrome, and Opera

Archived