Designer/ builder/ developer

newbman

I have used the terms "web designer", "web builder", and "web developer", but I'm not quite sure exactly what the difference is. This seems like a stupid question... but I ask because I don't know. Are there any other terms that I should know about?

Maybe web builders handle TCP/IP and networking, although I've never heard the term either... :shrug:

Webbuilders handle both. :)

The term I have heard most meaning both is developer but everybody has a different definition for them...I have never heard the term builder before either.The course I took in college was called Web Developemnt and handlked many areas, graphic design, web design (HTML/CSS/javascript) Programming (VB/ASP/JAVA) and netowrking/sys admin.

• graphic designer = creates graphical and/or multimedia images
  • web designer = primary role is to develop/outline the user interface, ditacte navigation and overall structure of the site and application contained within - they do not necessarily do any graphical work or coding work
  • web builder = never heard it used but could only assume that it is the same as a developer but maybe only specific to client site languages
  • web developer = someone who codes the web applications in any given language - asp, php, cold fusion, javascript, (x)html, etc.

The important thing is to understand the subtle difference between a graphic designer and a web designer. Although they often are the same person, they are stil two distintive roles. Without a web design, the graphic designer would have no direction. There are plenty of situations where a site is designed well before the graphics are even introduced into the picture.So, chronologically, it goes:1.) web design2.) graphic design3.) web development