Port 80 Blocked

hardya1ster

hello sir recently i installed wamp server . it worked fine for a week and then it stoped .it was gettin timed out.i checked with port 80 it was fine httpd was runnning .but wen browser did not respond until now . please help as soon as possible.and apache is gettin stopped wen i try to run local host from browser.

Is port 80 blocked, is that the problem? Do you have a firewall or something that is blocking incoming traffic on port 80? What do you mean by this:

and apache is gettin stopped wen i try to run local host from browser.
What do you mean Apache gets stopped? If you open the site in a browser does the Apache service get stopped? If so, you'll want to check in the Apache error logs to see why it's stopping.

Is port 80 blocked, is that the problem? Do you have a firewall or something that is blocking incoming traffic on port 80? What do you mean by this:What do you mean Apache gets stopped? If you open the site in a browser does the Apache service get stopped? If so, you'll want to check in the Apache error logs to see why it's stopping.
sir basically th browser is gettin timed out and server is not working.I changed the apache config from port 80 to 8008 and so on then also the same results . I have added httpd to exceptions in the firewall also.and firewall is off

You'll want to check the Apache error logs and look for problems, also check the Windows event logs. I'm not sure where Apache keeps its error logs, but you can open the Windows log by going to Start->Run and typing "eventvwr".
thank u sir ,iam still finding the reasonns .its not yet clear to me

make sure no other programs are conflicting with wampserver, main culprit is iis, and also skype which is also known to use the same port, but if remember rightly, gives an option in options->advanced to change. PS shouldn't the alternative port setting be 8080
thanks , i tried to make the port 8008 or 8080 .still its getting timed out.no change

looking into this, you may want to recheck virus and firewall setting, as apparently when these programs update themselves they sometimes reset the port management settings, resulting in port conflicts again.
k dude , tx, i am basically using wamp locally not online,does firewall matter in local server casses?

Port 80 supplies internet connection to programs such as browsers, and as mentioned before "skype" a internet messenger program, so yes this can affect your local server if firewall has been set to block this port, or restrict access to this port by wampserver.
k dude , ill be see in to this thinking of installing vm ware and installing wamp in that ? "see if it works "

Any web server or other software that listens on port 80 will cause problems. Only one piece of software can bind to any one port, so if the port is already taken then the web server won't be able to bind to it. I don't know what idm is, so look in the documentation for it to see how it works.

i have installed idm can that be a reason to not functioning of wamp??????? :)
This IDM? Unlikely...Let's review the situation, and this time, do answer the questions, don't be just "k dude, I'll check", OK dude?1. Do you have Skype installed?2. What Antivirus/Firwewall do you have?3. Do you have another kind of WAMP server package (Apache from apache.org; XAMPP, etc.)?4. Do you have IIS installed (if you're not sure, the likely answer is "No")?[edit]Whoa... so it WAS indeed the problem?!?! That I amit has caught me by surprise.[/edit]

Any web server or other software that listens on port 80 will cause problems. Only one piece of software can bind to any one port, so if the port is already taken then the web server won't be able to bind to it. I don't know what idm is, so look in the documentation for it to see how it works.
thanks all techie bros ... actually the idm is a stupid s/w which blocks port 80 and hence wamp,,, so pls dont use it if u want ur wamp server .... thank u guys :)

Archived