elexion

$rij = mysql_fetch_array($result, $query);echo $rij['username'];$_SESSION['username']= "'{$_POST['username']}'";$_SESSION['role'] = "'{$_POST['role']}'";session_write_close();header("location: index.php");

that does give me a better output on the whole picture yes;Array ( [username] => 'admin' [role] => '' ) but when i add another AND to my query to get the role value out of the database i get a error while logging in.

You're not looking for $_POST['role']. I thought we already determined that the user does not have to tell what role he has. $_POST is only for user input.You're supposed to extract the role information from the database.By the way, you have a whole lot of unnecessary quotes and braces here:
$_SESSION['username']= "'{$_POST['username']}'";

Just set the variable to the value of the other one:

$_SESSION['username']= $_POST['username'];

should i use $_GET or something i'm completely lost because i dont understand why it's not taking the role value out of my database since i'm using "select * FROM docenten" that means it takes everything out of the database right?

Yes... but it doesn't then place it in the $_POST array (unless you tell it to, but that would be weird)! It goes into the array in which you stored the result of the mysql_fetch_array() function.

Yes... but it doesn't then place it in the $_POST array (unless you tell it to, but that would be weird)! It goes into the array in which you stored the result of the mysql_fetch_array() function.
hmm well i conjured up this line
 $_SESSION['role'] = $rij['role'];

but that can't be right cause it's still not returning anything either i'm seriously the king of bugs or i'm just not getting it.

Are you putting it somewhere around:

$query = "SELECT * from tableWHERE username = '{$_POST['username']}'AND password = '".$password."'";$result = mysql_query($query, $db) or die('the query failed');if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0){$rij = mysql_fetch_array($result, $query);echo $rij['username'];$_SESSION['username']= "'{$_POST['username']}'";session_write_close();header("location: index.php");}

Also, print_r($rij) to see what it contains.

Are you putting it somewhere around:
$query = "SELECT * from tableWHERE username = '{$_POST['username']}'AND password = '".$password."'";$result = mysql_query($query, $db) or die('the query failed');if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0){$rij = mysql_fetch_array($result, $query);echo $rij['username'];$_SESSION['username']= "'{$_POST['username']}'";session_write_close();header("location: index.php");}

Also, print_r($rij) to see what it contains.

$password = ($_POST["password"]);$query = "select * FROM docentenWHERE username = '{$_POST['username']}'AND password = '".$password."'";$result = mysql_query($query, $db) or die('the query failed');if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0){$rij = mysql_fetch_array($result, $query);echo $rij['username'];echo $rij['role'];print_r($rij);$_SESSION['username']= $_POST['username'];$_SESSION['role'] = $rij['role'];session_write_close();header("location: index.php");}

i can't print the print_r($rij) outside of the logIn script above. but the script smoothly picks out the username so it's pretty frustrating not getting this thing

Archived